Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:22 am 

KL those are some awesome catches.
You say you are new to this? :lol:

Tell us about your gear?
In your profile you can add it in your signature box.
People like to see it so they know what cam was used to get great shots like that.

The broken leg....
It "could" heal, it looks like a pretty high break though :(
There is an artery that runs down their leg and if that gets cut it won't be good.
I have seen a deer with only three legs with fawns which indicates little to no stress, she was getting around just fine.
It was a high injury also just a healed normal looking flap of skin hanging.

Mother nature is beautiful but boy she can be cruel too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:28 am 

kpr wrote:
I have seen a deer with only three legs with fawns which indicates little to no stress, she was getting around just fine.
It was a high injury also just a healed normal looking flap of skin hanging.

Mother nature is beautiful but boy she can be cruel too.

I've seen a three legged deer out here as well with a baby... what are the odds. Out here not many deer survive broken legs as the winters are so harsh but I would think winters might be a bit milder out your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:54 am 

There's a deer 'round here that's missing part of a hind leg up to the second joint, but still seems to do okay. It's a fairly residential area, though, so I'm sure she's not dealing with "normal" stresses (i.e. predators). It's surprising sometimes how hardy they can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 am 
Kpr:
I have a Canon rebel XSI (450D in other parts of the world), 28-55mm IS kit lens, "economy grade "55-250 mm IS and a very understanding wife :lol:
A lot of my shots require significant cropping especially birds and small animals so I hope to upgrade to 400 or 500 mmby next year this time.
Where did you get the Pentax image for your signature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 am 

KL. Awesome pics of the young one jumping the fence. 10 out of 10.

How do you like the XSI? I'm looking at gettting my first dslr later this year, so I've started looking around at diff models.
So far the Canon 40D and the Nikon D90 top my list I guess mainly because of the fps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:44 am 

KL,

You're gonna get me busted for copyright stealing or something :roll:

Find one on someones signature... :twisted:
Right click on it.... :twisted:
Save as...
Load to bucket...
Post to signature
Viola :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 pm 
kpr wrote:
KL,

You're gonna get me busted for copyright stealing or something :roll:

Somehow I don’t think Pentax will mind their name being associated with your photos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm 

Just went through this entire thread for the first time and I must say it's given me a new perspective on deer.. thanks KPR!!! We have so many around here that I've never focused a lot of attention on them... think I will start though :)

Here are a few from a while ago.. this is the biggest buck I have seen... he was a 12 pointer..

Also noticed a few horned critters which were not deer so here is a new one...

And lastly another Elk and as with so many of my pics.. another story :P .. this was taken during a 3 day hike in the rockies... 2 days in my main camera decided to fall out of my pack while in a cave system and it plunged about 30 meters to its death. Luckily I had a small pocket camera with me. This pic was taken with it but every time I look at it I think of how good it may have been if I had the chance to do some manual adjustments before snapping the shot.. oh well... I still like it :) For me it's one of those shots with a classic setting but lacking due to my skills and the camera I had.

Last edited by Wolfsong on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 pm 
Wolfsong,

Sorry to hear of the demise of a good camera. :cry:

But the pics from your pocket cam of that elk are marvelous. It looks like you managed to get very close to get that detail. You must have put on a good stalk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 pm 

Rebel702 wrote:
Wolfsong,

Sorry to hear of the demise of a good camera. :cry:

But the pics from your pocket cam of that elk are marvelous. It looks like you managed to get very close to get that detail. You must have put on a good stalk.

I'm usually lucky if a camera lasts me 2 years so it wasnt an issue... what scares me is that now I'm going to a DSLR so I may need to rethink some of my stratagies :wink:

In regards to the stalk... not good enough! :P
he was grazing right towards me and I was sitting right within the treeline to the left. He was getting closer and closer.. I had the light and everything figured out... then the wind turned and game over!!! I managed the one shot just as he was turning away :D

I just think if I could have controlled the Aperature I could have brought everything into focus a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:43 pm 

They are alotta fun.
Great shots wolfsong!!!
If we had Elk here I'm sure i could be found stalking them too :D
They look huge.

Great mntn shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:54 pm 

Elk are fun but they are not much of a challenge in regards to photography when compared to deer.... they are no where near as spooky as deer and their larger size means you dont need to get as close... they are also much slower.... they also tend to graze more during the day so early mornings or early evenings are not as important. They do project a grand image though so finding a proper setting can make for some amazing shots.. Oh ya... other problem with them is that they do tend to charge a lot more than deer do so one needs to be careful :shock: ... many years ago one treed me and managed to keep me there for close to 1 hour... I've slowed down a lot since then so I tend to be more careful these days :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 am 

another Moose from last summer.. what struck me about this guy was how dark he was... even his velvet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 am 

Nice moose...

Someone was asking way back when HOW the deer removed the velvet.
That tree pictured with the Moose is an excellant example.
Although he hasn't started yet they rub their heads up and down trees like that.
That tree was rubbed the year before.
Around here they start mid to late Sept removing the velvet preparing for the rut/mating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:22 am 

yup on the tree.. that's why I left it in the pic...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next