Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 am 

Haha, a shot of the deer prancing off. I've got plenty of those! :lol:

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm 

Nice shots

I like the mixture of bahaviours shown, not sure about the mounted section though :?

I think that number 2 of the first of the last two posts is my favourite

I was driving to work this morning when I noticed after about 5 minutes of following it that the car in front had the number plate '5 KPR' - no lenses sticking out of the windows so I presumed that it was not you in a UK registered vehicle :lol:

Not enough deer in Wales really :D

Cheers

Stu

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 pm 

Hahhaa Stuey

The "mounting" is pretty srtange/unique behaviour especially all three being females.
This/now is the time of year for it so that was early for them to be engaging and even more so as they knew I was there,the bigger one was concentrating on me but the others just seemed to take advantage of that.
My quest this month is two bucks fighting,should be happening heavy these next two weeks...I won't be holding my breath for it tho...lol

Strange on the lic/plate...maybe a fan?
Maybe I have more than one hence the "5"...lmao!!!

Evan after a week of nothing but 0 pics/rain and cruddy light stopping them in flight was joyous...couldn't help myself.
First stalk just came together perfect and the Sigma shined even at full zoom
Focal Length: 500.0mm (35mm equivalent: 750...
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/9.5
ISO Equiv.: 400
Exposure Bias: -0.50

Made my day it did :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm 

It had not occurred to me that it may be a fan :roll: it could have been a few it was an mpv :lol:

I do like the photo's - it's always good when it 'makes your day' - well worth the effort

Good luck capturing the bucks fighting :D I hope they make a better job of it than Harrison and Haye did :lol:

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:08 am 
Llama and truck. New Mexico. US 60 Highway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:40 pm 

a farmer bout 1 hour north of where I am has been having speed goat issues. Normally really skiddish these guys have been getting into his winter feed for his cows... was driving north anyways today so stopped by... I've got way too many prong horn pics so was looking for close ups and different angles...

normally my focus point would have been the front one... focused on the back one for this shot...

yes... I purposely wanted to shoot the back of their heads...

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:47 am 

Great shots wolf...

Gotta tell ya....I tasted speedgoat for the first time this fall....
I hope it's not the last time either :shock:

Not many deer showing themselves now.
We've been pounded for about the last month with about 6-7 severe storms.
Thankfully mostly wind and rain and not much snow to speak of...yet.
Grey skies aren't really pic friendly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:14 am 

yup.. it tastes great :)

got a moose roast for supper tonight :twisted:

trying to cut down on my red meat (one meal a week) and eat a lot more fish and seafood but can't resist wild game!

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm 

Free range,no steroids drugs or chemicals......
Can't get much better... even fruits and veggies are full of that stuff now unless you grow your own.

Need KL or a few others to step up in this thread cause for the life of me I can't find a deer here in the valley.
Theres very few left but thankfully not alot of snow here yet.
Couldn't ask for a better winter for them ....so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 pm 

I was out all day thurs looking for deer specifically.. never found one.. lots of tracks though

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm 

ever try shooting in a blizzard? :twisted:

was invited along this morning to fly down to grasslands national park to participate in a bison count... in return they got me real close for a few shots... no one anticipated the blizzard though... it was supposed to hit north of there closer to where I live... actually right where I live. Lets just say you needed to be really close for a shot.. and it was amazing how many shots I got of blurred bison and perfectly in focus snowflakes :shock: . My range to these guys was only about 6 to 10 meters and it was still tough shooting. That being said I have always wanted bison shots like this, kinda classic for the species... just wish the snow would have been a little lighter. Visibility was maybe 30 meters. Temps were 37 below with the windchill. Good news is bison population seems to be on the up :D When all was said and done it was a fun morning. Gonna do some PP on them later today.

this is my favorite I think.

My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:20 am 

nice work , wished I could have done that. Bit cold though, I don`t have clothes for that. Its summer here, so t-shirt and shorts here.

Now for a stupid question would a flashlight flash have helped here, only saying this as there snow/blizzard has muted all light?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:38 am 
Nice shots Wolfsong; too bad you didn’t have more wind I thinks a little sideways blur to the snow would have added some great atmosphere.

Can’t help with the deer Kpr; I think they are still in nocturnal mode from the hunting season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:33 am 

thanks guys.. max.. flash and falling snow dont mix too well ... can get all sorts of reflections/shimmers off flakes which may become very distracting. It also makes the falling snow just more noticable again taking away from the object you are trying to capture. I deleted the vast magority of the pics due to distracting flakes as it is... several over an eye.. a big blurry one in the middle.. shot 200 pics or so and kept 8... Still got to do some PP on them but that being said I like the "atmosphere" of them as they are. Your right K... but more wind would have meant colder and I may not have gone then... it was gusting pretty good but we were in a little valley so we were a bit protected. But more wind and a bit less snow would have been awesome for pics! The wind would have gotten the fur blowing too!

Now that I have tried it gonna get out more in this type of weather...makes for interesting shooting/atmosphere but not much moving on days like this.. everything is hunkered down as best it can riding out the storm. Never heard any birds but seen one raven trying to fly with not a lot of success. Even the bison didn't move a lot and allowed us to get really close. One of the ppl doing the count mentioned its the best weather to do counts in cause its so hard to spook them and they dont move unless really provoked. This means less chance of attack too according to him. Bison are dangerous and I get nervous around them all the time... you never know when they will charge. According to the ppl doing the count on days like this and on real downpours in the summer they are pretty approachable... still dont think I'm gonna test that theory alone though.

If I had my way I would have spent the rest of the day there shooting this one herd but as it was I only had about 30 minutes.

Starting to enjoy bad weather shooting as much as sunny days. I think the photos bring a lot more atmosphere to the table. Seems most wildlife photography you see is on sunny days. The pictures might not pop as much and they might not be perfectly crisp with awesome color but a good storm or bad weather adds a lot to the story in my opinion.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 am 

Great shots wolf.
Gotta love good weatherproofing.
I remember this day ummm.... "fondly" :roll:
Kinda felt bad for disturbing them but it was probably for the better as they bedded down not very far from the main road and they moved further back once up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 42  Next