Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:31 am 

kpr wrote:
I'm a regular donor in the summer :roll:

You guys don't have ticks?
I've only ever had two actually latch on but picked plenty off?
I hate em!!! :twisted:

I grew up in Northwestern Ontario so am well familiar with mosquitos and especially black flies... those not familiar with black flies.... errr.. if you find mosquitos bad dont venture out with black flies... :shock: Then at night... KPR.. you got no-see-ums out there? YIKES.. insane while "trying" to sleep outdoors.

Ticks I'm not too familiar with... never had em in Northwestern Ontario where I was... we got em out here but have never had one on me... yet! I hear there are 2 main species of them and we are right on the dividing line of the 2 species.. east is one type and west is another. I've also heard they go through three life cycles and are only attracted to humans/larger mammals during one of them.. at least the ones around here... which only makes them a problem for humans for a month or so in early summer :?

I was surprised last summer as I heard that the mosquitos and blackflies up in the Yukon were as bad as anywhere but they really didnt compare to Northern Ontario. Northwestern Ontario is still the worst I have ever seen. Now I have heard that the interior of Newfoundland.. in the marshes and swamps.. are as bad as anywhere... guess I'll find out :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:12 am 
Mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers in Missouri. You guys are already making me itch. Sketters and ticks, no problem, just pick them off or scratch for a short time. But the chiggers bite lasts for weeks and they love the scent I put out :evil: I have not found a good remedy yet other than keep away and wear lots of Deep Woods Off.

Maybe I can get a macro pic of some this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:15 am 

Jeez I almost forgot the no-see-ums!!!
Snows not so bad afterall huh?
Now if we could just figure out how to have it once a week to kill the bugs.
Here's two ticks.
One engorged and one "normal"

They climb out on brush and have little hooks on thier legs like burrs.
No Lymes disease found here..yet.
Nasty aggrevating lil so n so's only around till it gets too hot then they hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 am 

Best fly dope I have found yet is made by a company called WATKINS.
Kind of like Amway, doesn't work for ticks but they flies hate it and unlike some Deet products it doesn't harm gear...like cameras :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:33 am 

Rebel702 wrote:
Mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers in Missouri. You guys are already making me itch. Sketters and ticks, no problem, just pick them off or scratch for a short time. But the chiggers bite lasts for weeks and they love the scent I put out :evil: I have not found a good remedy yet other than keep away and wear lots of Deep Woods Off.

Maybe I can get a macro pic of some this year!

What's a chigger Rebel? Do they fly or crawl? never heard of that term... sounds nasty though :shock:

*edit*
errr.. just looked em up.. NASTY lookin things!

Lets not forget the horse flies..... Dang... please remind me why we like the outdoors so much??? LOL! J/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:53 am 

Wolfsong wrote:
Lets not forget the horse flies.....

Yes... Lets not forget those litlle @#$&%*# flies. When the blackflies start to go away, I find them at times the worst of the bunch (Horse flies and deer flies.)

I remember one year, I was replacing a window at my inlaws cabin just outside of Sudbury they got really bad. By the time I was done my back and head were full of bites. looked like welts, and very itchy. :evil: :evil:

Unfortuantly they sold it about 3 years ago. I wasn't into photography then. There was a lot of wildlife up their. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:08 am 

Okay Rebel ya made my day.
Invisible? :shock:
Can you even feel them on you?
Ticks you can, at least thats one bonus...I think?

A sure sign of spring.
Herds of deer, saw at least 50 tonight all at distance and still a bit early to be stalking them.
Let them get some food in them before I start approaching, they've earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 am 

It's great when they start gathering like that in the early spring :) I'm the same way KPR... try not to bother too many animals at this time of year.. as you said.. they've had a long hard winter and need to rebuild some of their body weight without too much stress... from us. As you showed above it does make for some great long range photos though!!!

Dang.. take away some of that backround bush and I'd swear you were in some farm field up here :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:18 am 

Rui Costa wrote:
Wolfsong wrote:
Lets not forget the horse flies.....

Yes... Lets not forget those litlle @#$&%*# flies. When the blackflies start to go away, I find them at times the worst of the bunch (Horse flies and deer flies.)

I remember one year, I was replacing a window at my inlaws cabin just outside of Sudbury they got really bad. By the time I was done my back and head were full of bites. looked like welts, and very itchy. :evil: :evil:

Unfortuantly they sold it about 3 years ago. I wasn't into photography then. There was a lot of wildlife up their. :cry:

ROTFLMAO... a few years ago I guided a guy just outside of thunder bay on a tour of that area..... we got out of the car just outside of Rainy River and within 3 minutes he got bit by 7 or 8 deerflies.... he got back in the car and demanded I drive him back to civilization!!! Never got out of the car again til we hit thunder bay... I was like dude.... your lucky you didnt encounter a cloud of blackflies.... It had been his first visit to canada and by his reaction I dont think he was impressed with its "wildness"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 am 
kpr wrote:
Okay Rebel ya made my day.
Invisible? :shock:
Can you even feel them on you?
Ticks you can, at least thats one bonus...I think?

Chiggers are not visible to the naked eye. Difficult to feel them on you until they have established a hold and sucked into your skin. OK, this is making me itch just talking about them. You can read about them here.

Nice pictures of the herd. Looks like all that snow is melting pretty fast. Weather is getting nice here in Las Vegas, played golf today. Leaving on Sunday for Missouri so I will post some pics when I get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:18 am 

Same site I was reading/learning from Rebel.
Love learning something new everyday no matter what it is as long as it is NEW.
Don't let that bare ground fool ya.
Thats on the valley floor lots of snow in the woods yet.

We don't have Big Sky like you wolf, valley's only about 5 miles wide, longest view is atop the north mntn looking across the Bay to NB.
Was out your way a few years back for training in the "Depot" for a month for some shipboard stuff, kinda like being out on the water :D
Farmland is farmland for the most part those fields have been there a long time thats down towards the original/first North American European settlement in Annapolis.
Plenty of history around here, I'll take a trip there when it opens for the season,should make an interesting post. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:54 am 

kpr wrote:
kinda like being out on the water :D

LMAO... yup.. nothing like driving 1000+km and nothing much changes.... just km after km of FLAT!!! :shock:

Most boring drive of my life.... Ontario/Manitoba boarder to the edge of the Rockies.... beautiful area... just dont drive it in one shot....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:36 pm 

From this morning.
Snow squalls made it tough on the auto focus for longshots :roll:

Got er done though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:59 pm 

got out this morning and they are finally on the move up here as well now :D

not a great pic but I dont want to get too close... they are still struggling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:17 am 

Nice n healthy looking wolfsong, lots of snow yet for you/them.
I "almost"...feel bad posting pics of bare ground and this next one now....almost :wink:

Some deer from today...

What the...?

:lol:

Not all spots are bare but they are getting there...

Now these are a , "gotta try it" shots.
About a half mile,almost dark....
ISO 3200
500mm maxed
f/13

ISO 800
f/5.6
Couldn't see what stood em up...coyote maybe...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next