Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:21 am 
Hi All,

Just thought I would post some close up pics I took a short while ago when Steve (SteveExeter) was up for a few days, we managed to give the cameras some much needed use :)

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/400 second = 0.0025 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 71/10 = F7.1
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Focal Length = 300/1 mm = 300 mm

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/250 second = 0.004 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Focal Length = 300/1 mm = 300 mm

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/200 second = 0.005 second
Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Focal Length = 270/1 mm = 270 mm

They were all taken handheld and I think all at 300mm with my 70-300, the first two are straight out the camera and the last has been cropped a bit, feel free to let me know what you think :)

Mark

Last edited by Mark-A on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:15 am 
i like them all!!.. but the first one you have a lot of blown highlights.. maybe tone that down with some PP.. but i love the 2nd and 3rd ones.. great job here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:53 am 
got a strange feeling they all dead, somehow they look flat and washed, maybe is my screen :?:

2nd have nice composition :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:43 am 

Hi Mark, very nice!
#2 has good play with dof, you just "cut" the dragonfly with the plane of sharpness.
Did you use any close-up lens in front of your zoom? Which shutter-speed was that handhold?
For the more technically minded it's a pity you don't provide a way to see the EXIF data :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 am 
Hi All thanks for the comments, I have added some EXIF although all the images are posted with it for full details, if you use FireFox you can get the view EXIF addon which will give you all the necessary info. Having said that I normally post with this info anyway it's just been a long time since I made a pic post :p

Magic:
I think it must be your monitor mate? (or at least I hope) Mine is not calibrated using hardware but it using a couple of different software methods and the pics look pretty vibrant on mine.

EDIT:

Oh forgot to say Thomas, no nothing other than the standard 70-300 mate, still have to buy my Macro though and these kind of comments makes it more of a priority as I really enjoy taking this sort of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am 

Quote:
more of a priority
Well, if you have children, you have other priorities :wink:
But I am often very satisfied what you can get out of a "standard" tele(-zoom) if you walk up to the closest focussing distance (see my contribution to this topic here).
The most important part is that you have a tele>=150mm that is sharp (!) even at close focus. If you can get down to 1:5-1:7 and do a little cropping you can capture very nice "macros" from flowers and bees!