Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spidey and hoppa
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:48 pm 
Just got back in the country and wasted no time running around chasing bugs.

Tired need sleep now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 am 
nice pics.

i am new to this type of stuff, can you fill me in on how to do this? i tried taking some macro pics earlier today but i was having some issues with, well, everything.

when you take these do you zoom in? i was reading in my manual and i believe it said to leave it wide, but that didn't seem to work. plus that would mean you need to be very close and wouldn't the bugs run by then?

and what shutter speed did you use? i tried going a very quick speed (assuming you'd have to, to make sure the bug didn't move) but i wasn't getting enough light.

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:38 am 
very nice. My fav is the grasshopper, the spider is good too all eyes and legs, just the white background doesn't work for me.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:12 am 
Hey Miki, The Batman - Thanks for the comments and glad you liked em.

The Batman - It depends greatly on the type of lens that you are using. A misconception is that you'll need a fully dedicated macro lens to get a good macro shot but this is not true. Budget lenses can work well too.

The spider pic was taken with a raynox 250 placed onto a 50mm f1.8 which costs in total about US$180. This is my go to macro set up for in reach objects such as the spider. The lens is fast enough for a speedy shutter speed but you'll need a high f stop for the lens to be clear. Heres a small review of the lens i made in the past.http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5715

For outdoor shots with bright lighting like the grasshopper shot which was out of the focus range of the raynox 250 combo, i used the sigma 70-300mm dg apo lens which has a macro function (bought it 2 weeks ago for $230 off http://www.hksupplies.com). It works decently especially arnd the 200mm range but gets soft at 300mm so i avoid it. It also allows you to focus further so you wont scare the subjects off. Here is a sample of what the lens can do http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6666

The shutter speed used for the spider and grasshopper are 1/60 and 1/2000 respectively. I used flash for the spider pic to get more detail into it and to light up the eyes and compensated it with -3 exposure.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get subjects in flight properly though. Having real trouble with that. Hope this helps.