Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hey.

Random shot of a flower I took in Chester. Comments welcome.

EXIF data:

Taken With: Panasonic DMC-FZ8
File Size: 496 kb - 1024x768 Taken On: 2008:02:12 14:28:08
Camera Make: Panasonic Camera Model: DMC-FZ8
Date/Time: 2008:02:12 14:28:08 Resolution: 1024 x 768
Flash Used: No Focal Length: 10.9mm (35mm equivalent: 65mm...
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160) Aperture: f/4.0
ISO Equiv.: 100 Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix Exposure: program (auto)

Was new to the camera at the time, so everything on auto. Still a nice shot though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:15 pm 

Nice shot. I am quite pleased with the macro abilities of Panasonic's SZ's. When you say chester, you wouldnt happen to mean Chester, CA? Would You :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 pm 
Hi Mark.

A couple of weeks ago I also purchased a superzoom camera and it is a lot of fun but I guess you already know that. :) When I just had it I of course also at first used the Auto-mode. If only to see what kind of results it produces. And although it performs quite well under very different light conditions I soon moved mostly to P-mode. Mainly because I want to keep the ISO as low as possible to prevent noise. In bright light conditions the Auto-mode uses low ISO too but if you want to be sure you have to use P-mode. It also enables me to use exposure compensation which becomes desirable with light areas in bright sunlight to prevent washing out and preserve detail.

I'm inclined to think that your photo would have benefited from a little underexposure too. Something like 2/3 I'd guess.

In my case the superzoom I use is a Fuji S8000fd. Since I have it most of the time when I walk the dog I take it with me as it often gives opportunities to get to know different aspects of the camera.

This evening when walking the dog I happened to try the macro feature too. So only about 2.5 hours ago I made this one.

1/38 sec. - F 3.50 - ISO 64
Quality - NORMAL
Sharpness - Hard
White Balance - Auto
Macro - On
Focus mode - Auto
Blur warning - Yes
Focus warning - No (Focus OK)
AE warning - No (AE good)

Since it already was the middle of the evening and overcast I didn't worry much about exposure compensation. With the ISO at 64 I got a blur warning. The IS is basically always on. I expect it is active in Macro mode too.

When trying to keep the ISO as low as possible the IS is an indispensable feature.

Have you also moved away from Auto-mode?

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:55 pm 
Dryan2: Nope, Chester, North West UK
Cam-I-Am: I have, use full manual 90% of the time now.