Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:13 pm 
I'm not usually one for floral photography, but on this occasion I went out with flowers in mind. Here are two examples where I decided to go against the convention of natural light and instead isolated my subjects with high sync flash on an off-camera bracket. Please feel free to critique.

35-70 2.8 @ 35mm, f22, 1/60, ISO 100, flash fired (above camera left)
EDIT: Image removed.

35-70 2.8 @ 35mm, f22, 1.60, ISO 100, flash fired (lens right)
EDIT: Image removed.

Other than minor cropping in the second image, no other post-processing.

Last edited by Photoj on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:21 pm 
I really like the darker feel of the second one; I'm surprised that a flash was used (but this probably means I need to look up "off sync" flash usage).

Last edited by astroman on Fri May 23, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 pm 
Sorry. Had teething problems on my upload. The second one should be there now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:28 am 
Not your 'fault' by any means, but I suppose with the first photo, the lighting is good, but I'm not sure about the dark patch in the top right corner, where there are no pine needles (or whatever needles they are :lol: ).

In the second shot, I no it probably wouldn't have been possible, but I might've liked to see lighting from underneath, if you know what i mean.

Out of the two, I like the look of the first shot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm 
Hi photoj,

it's always interesting to see something is unconventional and as you mention yourself, flash-light and flowers is rarely the approach.

You have good control of the whiteness of the light shows off the flowers differently than what is usually the case. Less warming and more white than what the sun or even an overcast day normally produces.

Personally, I like the second one best because of the subtleties. At first you don't really notice the green leaves in the background - they sort of appear in your peripheral vision after a few seconds. It looks like a portrait shot of a plant.

The fact that you managed to avoid much of any shadow inside the flower is quite an accomplishment I think. The light is pleasingly soft without losing any essential details.

In the second one, I think yo have a difficult model, so to speak...lol. What might be equivalent to a bad hair day, sort of...lol. The whiteness of the spikes conspire to make the very top look almost overexposed, although I'm sure you have scrutinized that yourself.

The natural brownish color of the bulbs (are they baby-cones?) doesn't come across so well - in my taste - under the white light. Perhaps a tungsten combined with a behind-the-plant "hairlight" would do brown more justice?

I think there is potential in the "plants and studio portraits" approach and the second one is a good proponent of that technique!

Cheers :-)