Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ZEISS IKON
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:25 pm 
I took a few pictures of a very old camera my grandfather gave me.. i think we figured it out was made in 1947.. its a ZEISS IKON and is very nice and in pristine condition.. here are some pics i took in my room with the little studio i set up consisting of 1 poster board and my on board flash bouncing off the wall...

All photos were taken with my D80 and at 1/30 sec with anywhere from F/5.6 to 3 .. using a vivitar flash about 30 years old but works like a charm.

Tell me what you guys think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:07 pm 
I see... Zeiss Ikon... Zeiss as in Carl Zeiss (Sony) and Nikon's anagram! I pulled it off, whew knew both brands had formed a coalition in the past?! :D

I really like the shadow in number 2 and I prefer the angle of number 3. Sadly 3 has a shadow in the back :( being picky I know but such shots need tough criticism if you want to able to critisize!

Yeah my favorite is number three because it seems to be pointing its own way, shooting pictures the way it wants...

thanks for sharing!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm 
thanks quentin.. i actually like the 3rd one because of the shadow.. come on people more feedback lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:29 pm 
emp93 wrote:
come on people more feedback lol.

I got like 5 threads with no feedback what so ever, something wierd is happening in these past few months, ppl r just no bothering...

I think its a bummer that you didn't have a diffuser would made the lightning alot "smoother" but i must say that the 1st shot is just spot on! I love it :)

good stuff, i try to get some "close ups" on some of the areas on the camera that would be sweet to, like those "special" details no new cameras have.

Why dont you get some film and shoot away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 pm 
yeah i know.. no one is posting anymore on our photos.. alex i say me and you start posting on everyones photos that dont have any replies.. just to give them feedback.. it makes me angry when i get no feedback because i want to know if other people like what i see.. and idk personally i love the way all these look.. just super white and blown out.. to me it looks very cool.. and the 1st one is my favorite also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 pm 
emp93 wrote:
alex i say me and you start posting on everyones photos that dont have any replies.

At some time it can be quite frustrating yes, but if some one has nothing to say about the shots then sure pass on. But having like 80+ views and no replies is a bit odd. I try to share my opinion on most of the photographs that i see here on CL, or if not on their flickr account if they have one!

But that just me :)

so go reply to my still life posts u lazy bum ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm 
alex168 wrote:
emp93 wrote:
alex i say me and you start posting on everyones photos that dont have any replies.

At some time it can be quite frustrating yes, but if some one has nothing to say about the shots then sure pass on. But having like 80+ views and no replies is a bit odd. I try to share my opinion on most of the photographs that i see here on CL, or if not on their flickr account if they have one!

But that just me :)

so go reply to my still life posts u lazy bum ;)

ahah i just did.. check it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm 

I agree everything has slowed down a bit over the past months. Alex, it seems like Ed hasn't been hanging around to much lately?

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:27 pm 
That camera is beautiful; a work of art in itself. If only they still made cameras like that...

I like shots 1 and 3 the most, but 2 would make a great "product" photo (if you were selling it, which I can't imagine you would do or putting it on a website).

I'm going to have to disagree with Quentin about the shadow in shot 3 - I like it that way. The only criticism I can possibly give is that the light parts of the camera are very close to blending into the background (especially in 1). They're fine as they are, but don't make it any brighter next time!

I think the decision to go for black & white was a good one. It really adds to the vintage feel.

Got any more old cameras?

I have an old Kodak Duaflex (version 1 I think) and a No 2 Brownie which belonged to my grandma, but were given to me. They aren't in great condition, but the Duaflex might look good in a photo. I might give it a go sometime, as soon as I get (make?) a home studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:35 am 

spectacular lines, and composition...I too, hope you go out a buy film to get some great shots with this camera...beautiful..my favorite shot of this little series is number three, but it is sure a hard call...so many nice ones here...
would love to see you put this one to use, a classic...lucky you!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:24 am 
JakeOConnell wrote:
I agree everything has slowed down a bit over the past months. Alex, it seems like Ed hasn't been hanging around to much lately?

Yeah that is true, but i think Ed is busy because he hoped in on one of my threads! Would be nice to see him around, i m going to drop him an email

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm 
Thank you so much everyone for the feedback i really appreciate it.. im def going to try to give more feedback on everyone elses here because it really helps me when i take pictures to no what people like.. and yes patti i will be putting a roll of film in this and giving it a go.. one problem is i have no light meter or anything so im probably gonna use my DLSR as a meter and shutter speed estimator.. that should help.. i might go put film it right now actually ahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 am 
emp93 wrote:
yeah i know.. no one is posting anymore on our photos.. alex i say me and you start posting on everyones photos that dont have any replies.. just to give them feedback.

+1...

i'll join in if you guys do it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:36 am 
Great shots emp93! Is the camera still being used?

On a side note, I am finding that a lot of the images I see on flickr that are from Camera Labs members are also posted in forums but I never seem to notice them. Perhaps there is something wrong with the new post notification system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:09 am 
emp93 wrote:
one problem is i have no light meter or anything

You can buy very cheap old analogue light meters on ebay. Click here to see a list of them.