Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some shots to say hullo
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:38 am 
I thought I would drop in here to say "hullo" from Dyxum where I am an administrator.

I have already spotted at least one fellow Dyxum poster in your ranks and I am sure that there will be others.

First two with a700, third with 7D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:43 am 
Way to make an entrance! Welcome to the forums brettania.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm 
Thanks.

I should have been up front and fessed to the fact that I have four macro lenses and even sold a highly-regarded Minolta 100 f2.8 macro earlier this year. Current list is Minolta 50/2.8, Tamron 90/2.8, Sigma 105/2.8 and Sigma 180/5.6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:38 pm 
Hope you don't mind me asking but is there any reason you keep both the Tamron 90 and Sigma 105 given that they are very similar? I'm interested to know because I plan to get one or the other in the next month or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:59 pm 
Long story...

The short version. My first macro was a Tammie 72e model, and I made my first ever pic post at DPR of a shot using that lens, but I sold it because I ended up with the Min 100. However I kept going back to some shots taken with the Tammie that I regarded as being amongst my best. So after getting the Siggies (basically pure lens lust) I sold my 100 (for financial reasons) but got a second Tammie.

The strength of the Tamron v. Sigma is in the bokeh. So the 90 mm is also a handy portrait lens for those who can't afford dedicated 85 1.4s for their marque of camera. The Tamron is also IMHO a touch more colour neutral.

But it is a close race and if you can get a financial advantage by choosing the Sigma it would not disappoint as a macro.

Why both? I am considering selling the 105, but such decisions take time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:17 pm 
Thanks brettania, that's made things clearer for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:29 pm 
very good macro work........ some more information on the way you produce these fine images would be good........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi brettania, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

We look forward to more of your posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:50 am 
Big Pix wrote:
very good macro work........ some more information on the way you produce these fine images would be good........

Thanks, but there's no great secrets to these...!

The first two were processed from a700 RAW originals (initial file size of about 12Mg) and processed in Bibble and PSP X2. Can't quite remember full details for #3.

I tend to crop in camera, which means getting in quite close even with a 90-105 lens. I often use fill flash (with a little negative EV) -- either the onboard or a Metz or Minolta unit. And I handhold, adjusting aperture to keep the shutter speed from going too low. The camera's inbuilt SSS sure helps a lot, as my hands are not the steadiest.

Here's another one, from the 7D and a RAW original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 am 

gorgeous work...and the last one, the dishevled hibiscus is my favorite...love it...

Two more tasks....one, don't forget the ON ASSIGNMENT challenge for May...Refelctions...and number two.. da duck o' the day could use a shot or two...( you can look thru your files and find one, or go on an outting and find one...da ducks are timeless...)
great to see you here, and look forward to more of your posts, and photos...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am 

patti wrote:
...da duck o' the day could use a shot or two...

Looking at that last shot maybe we need a "da, Triffid o' the day" thread. :lol: Love it. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.