Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Flower Macros
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:20 pm 
I can see from other people's posts that the sun is coming out and the flowers a blossoming, so I thought I would share some of the beautiful colours coming out in the beautiful British sun!

Love the blue in this first one

Here are a couple orange ones
And finally a yellow one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:38 am 
What perfect looking droplets! How did you manage not to get your reflections in them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:29 am 

WOW! stunning,those are excellent, and the color, so how much does that filter there cost, i might have to get one of those

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm 
Thanks guys for the comments, I'm not sure how i didn't get my reflection in the droplets, but i think it is because I’m using an off shoe flash so the light is coming in from a different direction?? Could be....

Hey Jake like I have said before and many other on the forum who have this lens/filter, for the price it is a good accessory to have, i have had some nice pictures. But like LahLahSr said in One Ring to Rule Th..ermm..Two Rings.. thread;

LahLahSr wrote:
To be quite honest, I'm thinking that the DCR-250 is almost too good in the sense that the magnification is so great that it's only usable for ultra-specialized purposes. Even with F20+ the DOF is so razor thin that the only subject it lends itself to is insect-eyes.

I find by using my external flash i tend to get better results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 pm 
Very nice.. perfect focus on all except the first one.. i cant even find the point of focus on this one.. so i love them all except 1.. great colors and composition i really like the 2nd one with that drop of water.. just great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:18 pm 
Hi angelo,

those are some VERY yummy images! I say "yummy" because the great colors make them look almost edible..lol.

Could I ask you if you were using your wide lens or the tele with the Raynox DCR-250 on these ones?

I enjoy both my DCR-250 and the DCR-150. On my 200mm lens the DCR-250 is really magnifying a lot - as I think some of Paukl's Raynox shots also demonstrates (who can forget the snail-head up close..lol).

The DCR-150 appears to me to be a little more versatile.

You bring up a good point that I find works as well. If you saturate the area with light, you can drop to a smaller aperture and get a larger DOF. I don't have an off-shoe flash, but I use some "omega-powered" (my non-technical, technical term for really really strong..lol) LED work lights instead, which allows me to actually see how see where my focus-plane is.

However, the DCR-250 on my 18-55mm is more manageable - the objects are recognizable still..lol.

Great shots - the creative use of droplets gives the images something a little extra!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 pm 
Hey all thanks for the comments

emp93, your correct about the first one at first it was my favourite but the more i look at it, the more it drives me crazy, my eyes are just trying to find a central point. Oh well better luck next time. :wink:

LahLahSr: I'm using my 40-150mm tele lens; these were all taken at 150mm end. I find if i use my 14-42, i can see the filter because the iris of the 40-150 is smaller than that of the 14-42mm so it only uses the middle of the raynox. If you get what i mean???

I'm sure the DCR-150 is probably more manageable, but i find that if i just zoom out a bit i can control the magnification i want. 300mm on Paukl's makes it way too powerful, and if you don't have enough light you’re going to get blur and dark pictures. But I’m sure if he gets a flash in there or some LEDs he'll get amazing SUPER macros!

I have heard people set up LED lights as a type of ring flash and getting great results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 pm 
Really like these images.

angelo.milioto wrote:
emp93, your correct about the first one at first it was my favourite but the more i look at it, the more it drives me crazy, my eyes are just trying to find a central point. Oh well better luck next time. :wink:

Just got a new macro lens and have had similar issues myself. What looks great on the camera lcd tends to look a little out of focus when I open in on the Mac. Figure in my case I simply need more time to get my head round how the focusing works. :)

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 pm 
Have the same problem steve that’s why i tend to take 5-6 pictures continues shooting of the same thing hoping that one of them is the right focus. As if i move my camera 1mm forward its out, that’s the problem with this kind of magnification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 am 
great point angelo.. if your trying to get perfect focus on a flower.. USE A TRIPOD.. or get lucky :wink: .. so if your having trouble getting crisp photos.. then use a tripod cause your camera 99% of the time focuses perfectly in correct lighting.. so its probably just you moving a tiny tiny bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 am 
The last three pictures are my favourite ones. The first one is nice, but as mentioned before it is hard to find the focus point which makes the pictures see a little unsettled.
My favourite definitely is number 3 - I love the colour, the angle of the picture and the flower you chose for that one. Reminds me of some pictures that I did myself for a london florist (you might wanna have a look).

Overall great job!