Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My first (D60) macros
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
Hi everyone,

As the subject suggests i am completely new to the world of DSLR. Firstly i would like to thank everyone envolved with camera labs for a) helping me choose all my kit b) all the great tips i have already got from you guys.

So this is my first ever post! :D Therefore i apologise in advance for anything i have done wrong. When getting my kit (see my signature) i was not sure what i would take photos of the most. Then since the first time i clicked one of my new lens in position and shot a flower i knew i loved doing macros.

So with out further boring you, check out my first macro pics, all done with no PP only a little bit of cropping on the odd one and all taken in my garden :wink: ... (please let me know what you think/which ones you like :!: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:26 pm 
the squirrel is nice. The flowers are really colourful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm 

I was surprized by the squirrel, too...lol...love the color in the flower, and the water droplets.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 pm 
Thanx guys. I know it seems abit strange that a squirrel is in there, he just decided to pop out while i was shooting the flowers lol i couldnt resist. There was a sudden downpour just before i went out to take these shots. I thought it would be the perfect time to shoot, as i like the effect the droplets give to previous pictures i have seen on the forum. Keep the comments coming, any tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
I really like the one before the squirrel. I don't if it was intentional but theres a pattern of beautiful pink flowers going from focused to blurred, in a circle around the main subject.
Very well done!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm 
Thx Quentin :D . To be honest i noticed the shape (oval) when i first took a picture of this subject. However the flowers going from focus and out is a complete fluke. I took alot of pictures of this subject with different settings as i liked it so much. I thought it was really interesting and the picture you like just happens to be the one i liked best out of the bunch 8) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:13 pm 

#1 is my fav.
#3: Background is out-of-focus but still disturbing. It's also very hard to show differentiation in a red tulip flower. So try to get closer to the blossom and try to catch her in more discerning light.
#4-#7,#9: watch out for single blossom at centre stage! That most likely leaves a very static expression. This especially when the background is so uniform that it gives no counterpoint to the subject. Have a look over there to see what I mean...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:40 pm 
Thanx Thomas, really appreciate the input its the only way im going to get better after all :) .

#1 this is one of my favourites too there is something about the water drops on this picture that i feel really bring it to life.

#3 I totally agree with you. I like the shape of the flower in this one thats why i took the picture. Unfortunatly the rockery got in the way of me getting closer and i believe i was already at my maximum 200mm focal length. I didn't really want to climb on the rockery when its wet with my brand new expensive camera. Was the some way i could have brought out more detail from the red of the tulip without getting closer?

#4#7#9 Again i totally agree with your input. Your picture is much more interesting. How did you get the light so nice on your flower? It almost looks like you put a little torch in it lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:58 pm 

For the red one (#3) methinks you would have needed more/harsher light to get some differentiation in the red leaves or some shadow lines to sculpt the form of the blossom.
That was in effect what I had with my shot: strong/harsh early morning full sun, which increased the contrast and cast some nice shadows.
Also look out for red channel clipping which might be the case here. All-in-all exposure seems ok, but you have to watch the color histogram for the red channel carefully and perhaps reduce exposure a little. That was also what I did. As an added bonus it would have reduced the distraction background a little more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:23 pm 
Thx Thomas I will take your advice and try taking the same picture again, closer on a bright morning as the flower was in my garden. (could be waiting a little while though as im in England lol :wink: ) I will update the post as soon as i get chance to do this.