Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Macro Ringlight
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:12 am 

Ever since I got my fuji last September I have loved macro photography, this camera can focus within 1 cm!!!!!! I have had stuff touching the front element and had it focus. As I started to learn about lighting and all that I learned about ring lights. I needed one that was continuous or worked off the on camera flash because I don't have a shoe. I was going to buy a opteka ringlight but I didn't want to pay $70 for it.

Inspired by the cd spindle ring light flash article at Diyphotography.net I decided to make my own. The one in the article hooks up to a shoe mounted 580ex, but I figured I could modify it for my on camera. After a hour of playing around I got a some what good ringlight. This morning I decided to add foil around the entire inside. So heres the light and some samples:

ringlight with notes to explain it. ALso my new spray bottle!

A sample, this relies almost 100% on the flash (there want much ambient light covered everything up.

I don't want to post to many images but here are some more samples:

"Macroringlight" tagged photos on JakeOConnell's Flickr

What do you guys (and girls) think? I know, you're going to run to toss 50cds in a box so you can use the spindle.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:12 am 
Hey Jake thats quite intresting, the clear disadvantage with having it mounted on your camera flash is sthat you cant really controll the "direction" so to speak.

As far as the effect comes its quite intresting, but i was checking the website out and the flickr and quite dont understand how your supposed to hook up that flash. Not only r ringlights good for situation like theses i heard that they work great in on portratis!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 am 

The black thing off to the left the flash goes in there down the black tube and theres a vertical reflective tube that leads it into the ring. Ring lights are awesome for killer portrait lighting.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 pm 
I think you did a great job with the flower, as creative as your ringlight!

Keep it up!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm 
Just noteded that you used fake water :P Good going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm 
Yeah Jake i knw all about sparying flowers for the good effect of drops!

I try to keep up with DIY as much as i can! But that one is just old out of the book it works great tho! Thanks for reminding me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm 
Wow, great idea! I'm going to have to try that one now!