Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: White instead of colour
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:34 am 

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on what causes parts of the subject to be whited out when they look fine on the LCD preview.
With plants, sometimes the leaves lose colour and are white in places; the flowers can be white on the edges. The banksia buds are too light at the bottom.
Using a Canon A610 set on foliage, tripod, 2 second delay, no flash, and taken late in the day.
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/mosaicma ... ersAndBuds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 am 
That looks really bright for late in the day! What you could be doing is adding some filters, but then your main subject will disapear and that isnt what you want! I personly dont think that those shots are too "White" and i dont really understand what you mean if i m going to be perfectly honest.

Now it could have been that you have decreaseed the brightness on your LCD and thus getting a diffrent effect when transfering your images to the computer or it oculd be that your monitor really needs some calibration!

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 am 

alex168 wrote:
That looks really bright for late in the day! What you could be doing is adding some filters, but then your main subject will disappear and that isn't what you want! I personally don't think that those shots are too "White" and i don't really understand what you mean if i m going to be perfectly honest.

Now it could have been that you have decreased the brightness on your LCD and thus getting a different effect when transferring your images to the computer or it could be that your monitor really needs some calibration!

cheers

When I look at the leaves themselves there is only green, yet when the picture is taken and reviewed, there is glare in some places instead of green. So the camera is not actually recording what I can see. That is to be expected, but I'm wondering if it is just the limitations of this particular model. I'm planning to get an S5IS, but would that be any better? Looks like it is over-exposing slightly, yet the other colours look fine.
The LCD screen brightness is not adjustable. It's hard enough to see it as it is.
I agree that the shots are OK, but only at a small size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:12 am 
Hello Peter,

What has basically happened is the camera can't handle the sun reflecting off the leaves. Because the light is so strong all it can see is white. As you see in the picture below, the white spot on the back of the ladybird should be red but the sun was reflecting off it, and hence i lost the colour detail.

What you can do is set the exposure down a bit on your camera, not sure if the Canon A610 can do this as i have never owned one, but most compact cameras give you the ability to do so.

I think, but not sure, you can use a polarizing filter to remove the reflection of the sun off shinny surfaces.

*Edit* Just had a look and have a look at this Polariser filter guide, if you go down it talks about removing the sun's reflection from shinny surfaces. http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Polariser-guide