Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC

I generally rate the photos ...[1 worst 5 best]
...5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
...4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
...3 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
...2 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
...1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
...1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
...for an unspecified reason I don't feel like rating. 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 am 
This pig is a nice piggy bank :lol:

A porcelain chinese baby.

A raging jade elephant I found at home. Thought it would look mighty but its kind of dirty....

Went a little near to achieve more bokeh.

Last but not least, my favourite. A statue of a magnificent lion.

Technical stuff:
All with Sony A200, 75-300mm telephoto.
All with flash, and largest aperture.
Most with around 200-300mm focal length.
All but the first had the wall slightly whitewashed digitally.
Side lighting from top right.

Comments needed!
SnS 8)

P.S.: Do you think I need more magnification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:51 am 
I would say thats macro, i think of these objects as beeing some what bigger then your hand? and the shots are taking with too much "space" around them, these are more still life shots if you ask me. Macro would be getting ALOT closer

i didnt vote, becuase i though it wasnt fair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Well, I chose not to vote, purely because I think the subject matter could be a lot better, and didnt want to discourage you from 1 persons opinion. Macro usually tends to be extreme close ups. But maybe I'm not thinking outside the box here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:49 pm 
"Macro photography is a kind of close-up photography. The classical definition is photography in which the image on film is at least as large as the subject.

In recent years, the term macro has come to mean being able to focus on a subject close enough so that when a standard 102×152 mm (4×6 inch) print is made, the image is life-size or larger.

Depth of field is an important consideration in macro photography. This makes it essential to focus critically on the most important part of the subject. Parts of the subject that are even a millimeter closer or farther might be noticeably blurry."

From these encyclopedic snippets, I'm not sure that your images fall into this category, strictly speaking.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:11 pm 
I admire your courage to share your photography, SnS.

You thread title says it all, and for similar reasons stated, I won't be voting on your poll. What you're sharing is close-up photography, as there isn't a magnification of the real-life subject it doesn't fall in the genuine definition of the macro genre.

Let me leave you with four basic pointers for the future:

- if you want to achieve bokeh, it's not just by moving closer to your subject, but also through placing it further from the background.

- a viewpoint other than eyelevel can open new perspectives; try taking the same objects from above or below.

- natural lighting is always best; we can see a little unsightly flash reflections in these images. The best place would be a surface near a window on a cloudy day. That will give you good light.

- place a piece of white paper on the surface where your subject lies for a cleaner look.

Thank you for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:40 am 
Oh cool, thanks everyone for your opinions.

SnS :wink: