Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poor man's Macro setup!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:55 pm 
Hello there,

I'm newish to photography, and everyone’s comments and tips on this site have really helped me develop my photography. So I’m going to share my poor man’s alternative to taking macro photos with everyone to pass on some tips.
I really like taking macro photos unfortunately I can't afford a macro lens for my Olympus e-400. So I have improvised with a cheap alternative for a lens and macro flash.

Below I use a Raynox DCR-250 macro converter lens which just snaps onto the form of my Olympus 40-150mm lens. This cost me about £25 off ebay.

The flash is simple homemade macro flash. Just taped up a white paper bag to the Hot shoe flash, and bob's your uncle

Here are some examples i took with this setup. The flower shoot was done handheld.

The ladybird one was done without the flash, but the sun was shining anyway.

I’m not saying that this set up is better then going out and buying a macro lens, and the raynox lens does have its faults, it has really shallow DOF. It also made my 40-150mm focus distance go from about 0.5m to about 10cm away, so you will scare those shy bugs away.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:15 pm 
This sounds just like me, going for a buget home made version when you dont really have the cash flow, but from thes picture you can see that its working. I m currently working on bulding on of those home made flash difures boxes where you can place objects into it and there should be light hitting the object from all direction!

nice setup, nothing like going home mad, and the results where pretty good to :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:56 pm 

Once again, it is not the gear, it is the soul...good goin, angelo, enjoyed looking at the "contraption" invention...and the results are most excellent.
Angelo's excellent adventure...good good...

thanks for showing how to make it all work, even on a shoestring
My favorite is that lily...beautiful..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 am 

That's gotta be the coolest setup ever :)

And really nice pictures as well...

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:54 am 
Nice pictures and setup you have there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 pm 

By the way: the "really shallow dof" does come with the magnification and has nothing to do with the price of the equipment :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone i'm glad i can share. I hope to be posting more pictures here in the weeks to come.

Oh and alex i look forward to seeing that home made light box!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 pm 
angelo.milioto wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone i'm glad i can share. I hope to be posting more pictures here in the weeks to come.

Oh and alex i look forward to seeing that home made light box!

its going to be ghetto! :D just gotta take a look at some on the web, and hopefully get a chance to take a look at one in reallife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 pm 

Would this work on the 70-300 lens? A macro lens is next on my list really, as is an external flash... But this way I could actually be serious about getting one :)
[edit] just ordered that same lens :)
For this kind of money, I couldn´t stand going without macro option anymore :)