Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC

Which one do you like the best?
1 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
4 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Lone leaf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:29 am 
Hey guys i took this picture and i want your opinion on what you like the most.. there all the same just edited differently.. i want to see everyones opinion...

1. Closest to original just a orangish tint.

2. Vignetting added and brought out black with tone curve.

3. Extreme vignetting added and brought out the blacks a lot with tone curve.

4. Same as before but with a different temperature.

Tell me what you think is the best one.. taken with Canon 400d/xti and all pictures edited with adobe lightroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:31 am 

I vote for leaf number 3.

like the contrasting colors, and tho I like black and white, the monochomatic little leaf, in number 1. is somehow lost on the sidewalk, 1.
Not liking number 2, empy...that green cast is not appealing to my eye..not enough warmth in there for me. and number 4 is the one I like second best...

Just goes to show ya what an afternoon tweaking colors, tones, etc..and foolin around with a lonely little leaf can lead to.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 am 
Thank you patti.. really for me its a toss up between 3 and 4 with 3 slightly ahead.. i just put the first one for reference to the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 am 
Hey emp93,

I prefer no. 4 followed by No. 3. Not so much because of colors, but because of composition.

In the first two, the light and tonal range is fairly "flat" and there is no "story" or "feeling" in the images - to me anyway.

However, the last two look more light a spotlight of sorts have been cast on a dark background, thus giving a more dramatic feel.

I'm sure the textures are more evocative when the images are larger.

Interesting stuff - well done :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:21 am 
the last 2 for me....... can't decide..... but have you tried a much lower angle and using a wider lens, add a bit of distortion to the leaf, and make it more of the focal point...... you are almost there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:41 am 
I like the last 2. I picked 3 though, because the leaf stands out more without the yellow tint. Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:18 am 
no 1 and 2 is just a leaf on a surface. They dont speak to me very much.

But then something happens in 3 and 4. Suddenly the picture have some kind of story that it's trying to tell. The picture is like saying that THAT particular leaf had a specific role in some kind of event.

3 is my choise.

Well done !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 am 

I prefer the 4th pic; it's all well blended. I find that the colours in number 3 are fighting against each other for attention, therefore giving more than one point of interest (or even worse, none.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 am 
i whent for number 3 it has that rusty look to it! and i really like that in such photos. And the it looks as if the leaf is the only thing in colour thus making it stand out more! awsome pix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:44 pm 
Thanks guys.. this is why vote for post processing because it opens up so much more creativity.. when i took this shot i thought of number 3 and 4 so i edited them to make it look like that. Thanks everyone for the great feedback.. and big pix do you have an example of what your talking about im a bit confused on what you mean.. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm 
get closer and look along your subject with a wide angle which will give you some distortion for more interest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 pm 
Big Pix wrote:
get closer and look along your subject with a wide angle which will give you some distortion for more interest

AAAAhhhh i understand now.. so what you mean is like get lower too it and add some DOF to it??? lol im thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 pm 
I like your background ....... but the line is very distracting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm 
Big Pix wrote:
I like your background ....... but the line is very distracting

Ohhh ok.. i guess i understand a bit more now.. so basically trash the line and im all set... when i get my new camera ill try this shot again.. :D But for now i enjoy looking at this one so i will keep it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 am 
Composition is much better in 3 and 4. I prefer the warmth of 4 over 3. And it's already been said, but sadly the line between the paving is mildly distracting, but doesn't ruin the image entirely. Good work.