Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:20 am 
Hey,

first of all a belated Happy Valentine to the ladies :-)

Then on to some other experiments with light and reflections on objects with next to no outline. These are sandblasted pieces of glass used in mosaics and they can fool AF and your eyes. Had a difficult time getting any kind of focus.

They are all high to max ISO and with only my trusty 3$ LED flashlight to assist. Although they are noisy as (beep) it comes out in a abstract, almost graphic, way that I don't mind. I can fool myself into thinking that I have used an AGFA 400 film or something..lol.

..and finally some blue magic. I'm planning for some similar shots later with more LEDs and force an ISO200 to see if that will dramatically change the outcome.

Nikon D40 + 18-55mm Kit lens (I love my camera..lol!)

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:29 am 
I like the last one! Just curious, but have you been reading any of the Harry Potter books recently? :lol: He seems to have inspired a few of your threads!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:28 pm 

And what's that about this mysterious $3 flash?
Tell us all about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm 
Hey LahLahSr,

The lighting is really interesting and the colors too.

I have an idea about your high ISO "problem". What if you were to try and set it to, say, 100 and use the slow shutter speed to "paint" with the LED's and maybe different colors. I think you could get some awesome effects.

These are nice though :) Looks like candy... humm yumm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 am 
I cant wait till "LahLahSr and the chamber of nic-naks" comes out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:58 am 

well, well, well.

Girls, we got flowers, and jewels, right here on our own CL..for Valentines day...a pretty good haul, I'd say...thanks Lah..ya made my day..

love it..and I really love the blue glass..but I think that maybe these are jewels that old Smaug would have gaurded, love them all the same, they are beautiful.

I am gettin a flashlight.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:45 pm 
What a beautiful set of pictures and so creative. I cannot quite pick out a best one!

If I was really pushed I'd have to say my fav would be number two.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 am 
Hi,

thank you all for the nice words. They were fun to do.

Yeah grahamnp, I came intoa "Potterish" mood when I looked at the results..lol.

That flashlight Thomas, is just a white LED flashlight that seems to work really well for this kind of stuff. The same I used for the goblets too. I'm finding the LED's are really good, since they emit what seems to be a very "pure" withe light. I'll be buying more of those for sure!

Yep, Andy - that's my next step. I want to see how images such as these look with lower ISO numbers and since I'm using a tripod anyway, it should be no problem to have longer exposures.

Lol..Nick..yeah..just wait for the "LahLahSr and The Drawer of Socks" come out - it's gonna blow you away. More action, more romance, more magic.!!

Patti - those are the same white rocks that you see in the other ones and the same light - the difference was a change of white-balance settings. I forced my D40 to think it was direct sunshine and it added the blue to compensate..a rather unexpected result from experimentation :-)

Ormina - that is my fave too. Eye-candy to me..lol..again the same rocks and white LED flashlight, but shone through the bottom of a multi-colored glass-plate/serving tray (1$ from one of the Dollar-stores in Vancouver.)

Macro is fun! Thanks again for your nice words :-)

Cheers!