Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon close-up lenses
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 pm 
Anyone know if the Nikon 5t or 6t closeup lenses (or even 3t or 4t) fit on the 18-200 VR lens? If so, any results to report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 pm 

Hi Monelle,

I don't know the Nikon close-up lenses, but I once tried a third-party closeup-lens on my 18-200 because I was not really satisfied with its macro capabilities. I gave the lens back a few days later, because the quality of the pics was miserable. It was not color aberations (that certainly a better closeup-lens can eliminate) but it was a visible lack of sharpness outside the center, even if stopped down to f11 or below.

I would certainly say, that the better approach would be to get as close as possible to the subject of your desire with the lens set to the longest focal length and apply a little magnification (2-3x) in SW afterwards. This yields a lower res pic (e.g. like from a 1-2.5 Mega pixel sensor) but is in my opinion better for the casual macro photo. Most SW should even apply some intelligent algorithm to make the pic look better than a 2.5MP original.

Today I'm the proud owner of the Nikko 105mm VR, which is the best solution to macro photography from Nikon.

And don't let third party lens manufacturers fool you with the macro capabilities of their zooms into believing, that their macro picture quality is good. It it almost impossible to get a decent 1:2 or below macro on any zoom lens. Then it is even better to buy a fixed length specialized macro from say sigma pref. the 105mm variety, because a good fixed length macro is much easier to construct. But you will certainly miss the image stab of the Nikkor 105mm VR. No third party manufacturer has a image stabilized macro (yet).

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:22 am 
Thank you so much for this detailed answer, Tom, it is very helpful.

Post subject: macro with 18-200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 am 

Hello Monelle, I've used extensively the 18-200 and it simply is not a good macro lens. If you're saving pennies, try the $90 18-55VR kit lens, and you'll be surprised with the results. Also check my topic "Inexpensive macro, autofocus extension tubes". Greetings from Brazil, Paulo.