Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Welsh Snowdrops
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 pm 

Spent the day on an introduction to DSLR photography course and these are a couple of my favourites. It was a very cold day but this was a nice little reminder of the Spring yet to come. :)

Lens used Lumix G Vario
28mm, f5.6, ISO 400, shutter 1/125, -0.7EV
Snowdrops

28mm, f5.6, ISO 400, shutter 1/50, -0.7EV
Ivy Snowdrops

Post subject: Re: Welsh Snowdrops
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

Nice ones! Personally I like more the first one, good job :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 am 

This is entirely subjective, and I realize that this was a class assignment meant to demonstrate a concept/technique, but to me, the second pic seems "backwards". i.e. I would think the flowers would be more visually interesting than the leaves, and so I would've focused on them instead.

Especially in the Flowers section of the forum - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:58 pm 

Maestro wrote:
This is entirely subjective, and I realize that this was a class assignment meant to demonstrate a concept/technique, but to me, the second pic seems "backwards". i.e. I would think the flowers would be more visually interesting than the leaves, and so I would've focused on them instead.
Mark, you're right; this was part of our lesson and the aim was to focus on a subject in the foreground and blur the background. Our tutor was also encouraging us to look beyond our chosen subjects for other points of interest and consider other angles to take our shots from – not to just go for the obvious and straight up to an object and photograph it.

I agree; liking/disliking a picture is subjective. I can recall heated discussions about it during my art a-level studies - many moons ago now :wink:
My personal favourite between the two is actually the 2nd shot with the ivy, because I felt that there was beauty in the simplicity of the leaves and you can still make out the snowdrops in the background. The snowdrops were the obvious choice in this area, which is what I, (and the rest or our class) headed straight for, but then I noticed the ivy covering a tree in the background and decided to take a different approach.

Maestro wrote:
Especially in the Flowers section of the forum - Mark
I felt that the 2nd picture would be covered under the “…macro (close-up) photography” part of this section, as the insects, spiders and other small things have done. :wink:

Regards,

Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 am 

Now that you mention it, I think if you could've found an insect amongst the ivy, that would've made a great pic. But again, I realize that this was for a class, so you had to capture what was there at that time. And I do think you demonstrated a solid grasp of the technique.

I also forgot to mention that I liked the first pic, too - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm 

Haha! :D It would depend on the insect - some I would run away from. Maybe I could keep a beetle in a matchbox for such moments :wink:

I have to say, the class was very enjoyable and worthwhile. It helped me to make sense of a lot of things I'd been reading about, now it's just practice, practice, practice....