Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Recent Outing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm 

I've always enjoyed macro work but have never spent a lot of time refining methods while out on other photography outings... here are a few from a recent wildlife outing I was on...

The pic is average at best but I do love the natural camo of this grasshopper

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 am 

nice shots, like the detail you can get out of the 24-105L and the 100-400L.
Do you use the 100L macro much?

I took a few in my mother in laws backyard recently with the 100 and rediscovered what a joy it is to use. Also ended up using the flash a fair bit, just seemed to bring out colour, detail and helped with motion blur.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 pm 

thanks Max... I dont use the 100 as much as I should when I am on hikes. I usually just take the 2 bodies with the lenses attached seeing I want to reduce weight as much as possible.

I will however be reworking my kit this winter for next summer's hiking season to include more gear by attaching storage to a belt and rebuilding my day pack. I'm also gonna start carrying a 3rd body which I just picked up.. another 7D which will be for macro work as I do constantly come across interesting macro shots and I'm tired of passing them by or having to comprimise in getting the shot. Last summer I was on a day long hike when I came across this beautiful little flower which was no more than 5mm in size. I couldn't get the shot cause I didnt have my macro with me and I was 4 hours away from my car.

Another item I want to include in my hiking kit is a pocket waterproof camera. Just yeterday I was out shooting the tail end of the goose migration when I noticed some fresh-water shrimp just below the surface as well as a crayfish in a creek. I would love to start photographing things like this and a small waterproof camera would be perfect in my case.

I'm actually in the process right now of writing a very long article/guide on what wildlife photographers should think about carrying with them on day outings, mutli-day home base outings and multi-day hikes and this process has made me reevaluate what I carry and how I carry it. I've been lucky enough to have a local photo shop as well as several outdoors shops let me borrow things all summer expressly to try out the gear and see how functional it actually is in true wilderness settings. The guide will go far beyond cameras and talk about everything needed to make these types of outings successful and fun... stay tuned :D

Wow.. another long answer for a simple question :P

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:52 pm 

"Wow.. another long answer for a simple question"

just means I am doing my job well. :P

I am surprised you are taking a third body, isn`t it easier to just take two bodies and the 100 macro and change lenses as required. 3 bodies is lot too carry, you did say you want to reduce weight.

Looking fwd to your guide.
I am not convinced that the camera backpacks are better than a proper hiking backpack. From what I have seen hiking backpacks are better designed and more comfortable.
I have got one of these, its ok if you only want to carry camera gear and a bottle of water and a snack.
http://www.tamrac.com/5585.htm

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 pm 

you are right about the 3rd body adding weight max but the places I go I really dont like removing a lens unless I have to.. I always seem to be in either rain, dusty areas or just a place where changing lenses is cumbersome so I'll just carry a 3rd body and save myself the hassels and frustrations :)

I agree with you on backpacks and I spend a lot of time talking about it. I don't own a backpack specifically made for camera gear as I do not find them very useful or comfortable in the wilderness... especially on multi-day hikes where they are utterly useless in my opinion. When you talk about having to carry tents, sleepingbags, food, cloths and everything else needed for multiday outings it becomes a lot simpler to convert a hiking backpack to carry camera gear than the other way around. With the right modifications its pretty amazing how easy access to hiking packs can be and how much more comfortavble they are after 10 hours on the trail.

I'll give you a little tip from what I am writing.. you would be amazed how easy it is to adapt a strap like those made by black rapids to attach to a northface backpack so that you now have your cameras at your hips while out hiking. They work the same way and you have instant access to your cameras with a fully loaded backpack on your back.

There are so many more little ideas I have played wtih this summer.. hopefully you can read all about it soon.

My Flickr