Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:06 am 

After lots of thinking and hesitating I eventually got Canon 100mm macro, which I practically do not take off my camera. I'm still in learning mode but I can tell you I just love this lens!

Here are my first shots with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Nice shots! How close were you to the subjects and how much closer does the lens let you get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:49 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Nice shots! How close were you to the subjects and how much closer does the lens let you get?

Thanks!

As far as the distance from the subject, hmmm... not sure but I guess it would be around 40 cm and I could not move much closer.

BTW, just came back from my backyard where I found this little critter:

Trouble was I do not have a proper flash so I had to use the inbuilt one with a bit of a hankie wrapped around it for a diffuser. It did not help much but at least I managed to take this shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:19 pm 
The new lens looks great. The shots are fantastic :D

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 pm 

Wow, Those shots are really good!

I really like the first shot, fills the frame, full of colour, and the insects make for a really interesting shot.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:34 am 
Hi,
I'm just curious as to whether a Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 len can be use as a Macro len or not? ( considering the zoom range and the aperture size ) I tried taking some closeup pictures but the result isn't as close as I expect. I'd actually asked this question before but did not go into details on whether using the Sigma is appropriated or not.
I also heard that true macro lens will give you a 1:1 magnification. What does that mean? Is it something like you will get the exact size on the viewfinder as it is on the subject. Please help to explain.
Regards,
Bemyself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:00 am 
Nice shots -- really clear, good detail -- and good colors too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:32 pm 
Nice shot, and great thinking on the hanky as a diffuser ! :idea:
What sort of flower is pic2, anything inside ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:27 pm 
Nice pictures!

Makes me want to buy a 105mm nikkor micro... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 pm 

DavidL wrote:
Nice shot, and great thinking on the hanky as a diffuser ! :idea:
What sort of flower is pic2, anything inside ?

I wish, I knew :)

Nothing much inside, I took it because the flower looked as if it had a great time basking in the glorious morning sun, stretching its petals, like people stretch their limbs when lying on a sunny beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:00 am 
bemyself wrote:
I also heard that true macro lens will give you a 1:1 magnification. What does that mean? Is it something like you will get the exact size on the viewfinder as it is on the subject.
Bemyself

I've been reading a lot lately about macro photography as I'd like to get a proper dedicated macro lens and I've only just found out what this 1:1, 1:2 etc all means.

True macro photography is 1:1 or closer, where the subject that your camera's sensor captures is the same size or bigger than it is in real life. e.g. if you take a photo of a butterfly at a ratio of 1:2 then it means the butterfly on your camera's sensor is half the size then it is in real life and it's not true macro photography.

Apparently, with macro photography, it's more about how much of the subject the sensor can capture than the size of the subject in the resulting image because images are obviously blown up when they appear on your computer monitor or when they're printed.

I hope I've got that right and I've explained it OK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 am 
Hi Chinamark,
Thanks for the explanation. I'm getting a better understanding after your explantion.
Regards,
Bemyself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:02 pm 

Yet another one from my set. This one was actually taken before the other three. Original is RAW and this one is cropped and sharpened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:22 pm 
Hi csnaus
Great shot - I really like the bokeh of this lens.
Looks very sharp too :)
The f/2.8 really pays for itself. :!:
Tempting me .. really tempting me ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:41 am 
Yeah, it's really tempting me to get a macro lens too! I read somewhere that someone said, "photography is a slippery path to poverty!"...something like that, but I can see that could be very true now :lol:

David, if you were going to get a macro lens, what focal length would you like to get? Some people prefer shorter focal lengths around 60mm and some prefer longer around 150mm and upwards so that they don't scare away what they're trying to shoot. I think I've finally decided on the Tamron 90mm against the Sigma & Nikkor 105mm because it's a lot cheaper than the Nikkor and from what I've read, people are really happy with the IQ and it makes a great portrait lens too.

Then again the Nikkor has VR and at high magnification, camera shake is apparently easily visible so maybe it is worth paying the extra for VR...I don't know. I'd also prefer not to have to use a tripod so again VR would be really useful.....uurgghhh...dilemma!

What about lighting? Do you have an external flash already? I've been thinking that along with a macro lens I should really get an external flash like the SB600 or SB800 too....more expense :) I guess it would have to be the SB800 too, especially for macro work because you can take the flash off the camera and move it around and then have the lighting come from wherever you want.

I'd be interested in hearing your comments and anyone else who does a lot of macro work or is thinking about buying a macro lens.