Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:22 am 

So I've finally had a chance to go through some stuff in my Lightroom library that I've been too busy to process and ran across these colourful, summery photos I took at Point Pelee National Park after I moved home from Ottawa.

They're all taken with my XSi, 100mm macro @ f/2.8 or f/4 and various shutter speeds... if you want more EXIF, click on them and view it on Flickr :)

Enjoy!

Point Pelee National Park - Monarch Caterpillar by Plymer, on Flickr

Point Pelee National Park - Paper Wasp by Plymer, on Flickr

Point Pelee National Park - Common Buckeye by Plymer, on Flickr

Sunny Days of Summer - Monarch Butterfly by Plymer, on Flickr

Hanging Out - Hackberry Butterfly by Plymer, on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 am 

awesome plymer! I think this is the first time I have heard Point Pelee mentioned in regards to photography with no bird shots included. :)

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:07 pm 

haha thanks Wolf... it's true, any time most people hear about Pelee it's something to do with birds, but I think when visitors only focus on that aspect, they are missing out on a lot of what else there is to offer. I used to work as a Nature Interpreter there and it blew me away how far some people come to see the birds in April and May. I met some people from Morocco and a few from New Zealand as well, and one of my favourite regulars who was working as a migrant worker in Leamington's greenhouses but actually has a Masters in Ornithology in Costa Rica! That guy was always an interesting person to talk to, and he made it a point to teach me a few species' names in Spanish by the end of the season - it's been nearly 3 years since then though so I've largely forgotten even most of the French names I knew... :(

I'd probably do bird photography if I could afford the cost of entry, and if I manage to pick up enough weddings in the next few years, a 500mm f/4 might not be too far-out a goal. Until then, the 100mm macro gets me the shots I want of the butterflies and bees/wasps for a much lower cost of entry :)

(Edit - that last paragraph might sound silly, but I am a sucker for shallow depth of field, so slower zooms to the longer ranges don't appeal to me and I'm willing to save up for "the goods")

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm 

I'm gonna try to focus a lot more on macro this summer as well....

In regards to Point Pelee... I know at least 11 birders out this way that will be heading there this spring. Last time I was there was about 20 years ago... I hear it is pretty insane there these days in the spring with the amount of birders present. With that many ppl visiting there I sure hope they are treading softly and picking up after themselves.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr