Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photographing Letters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 am 

I was waiting for a train earlier and saw some rusty letters scratched into a sign post, and I remembered this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXO4KiO78nY

So I through on my new 12mm extension tube and shot the following:

Canon 1000D/Rebel XS
18-55mm IS kit lens
Kenko 12mm extension tube
Focal Length: 46mm
Aperture: f8
ISO: 100
Shutter: 1/60s

Canon 1000D/Rebel XS
18-55mm IS kit lens
Kenko 12mm extension tube
Focal Length: 46mm
Aperture: f8
ISO: 100
Shutter: 1/60s

I didn't quite fill the frame in either case, but when I put on different/more extension tubes, the camera was so close it was casting a shadow. Oh well. Has anybody else tried this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 pm 

Interesting structure/texture but I fear that
(a) the slight unsharpness at the corners/borders disturbs me (more than I like :? )
(b) the image as a whole is not interesting enough for me
Same happens to me when I shoot signs on the bark of a tree: I find it interesting, but fail to produce a real good image.
Perhaps showing part of a word would make this type of shots more appealing, as the brain has more to work on than just a simple letter and a texture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:17 pm 

Try using the rule of thirds for some letters... Also, I agree with Thomas, the unsharpeness bothers me a bit, and although the whole isn't that interesting, I think that it does have potential.

It's a strange idea, photographing letters! I watched the video, and I would've never though of a pro letter photographer!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 pm 

That unsharpness is not at all slight. I had to significantly sharpen in postprocessing. I'm not quite sure what causes this. It doesn't happen normally with my kit lens, and I've taken other macro shots with my extension tubes that didn't have this effect. I'm just learning how to do macro photography, and I've had my extension tubes for only a week, so it's entirely possible I'm just doing something wrong.

I also agree that the images are uninteresting individually. The idea in the video is to collect the whole alphabet (multiple times) and use them to write out names as gifts for people. I don't know that I'll actually do this, I just remembered the idea when I saw these rusty letters. I'll continue to collect letters as I see them. But for me, it's more about practicing with my new extension tubes than getting the final images.

Thanks for the comments. Any advice on what's causing the unsharpness at the corners and how to avoid it?