Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 am 
To me, i can't tell the difference between one photographer's macro shot and another's. There is the insects, flowers, fruits, veggies subject which I find a little boring because everyone is doing the same thing(basically when I see my friends macro shots, these are the subject that they shoot).

I have a leica r6 with APO 100mm, perhaps the best macro lens in the world.

Can anyone suggest some interesting macro subjects other than flowers and insects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:12 am 

Try to shoot those same things but find a different perspective than what everybody else does.

Prints

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 am 
Take a shot of a bug on a tomato flower? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 am 

One persons boring is another persons interesting.

What subjects would you find interesting? Close up shots of mechanical items cars, nuts, bolts or more natural items like the bugs and flower shots? You could try water droplets with something interesting reflected in them.

Take something not usually seen from a macro POV and try some shots see what happens. Experiment with lighting and see how that changes the look of the shots.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 am 
Good macro results require a lot of work, so find a subjetct that you really like (enthusiast way) or the results could be disapointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am 
Ahh..the ancient challenge of inspiration :-)

Yeah, I agree with you frolf. Yes, flowers are pretty and bugs are fascinating..but how many are them really are wall-hangers?

I enjoy macro photography and I deliberately try to avoid flowers and bugs, largely because I find them ultimately a little "repetitive" in a way.

What has helped me stay interested is to try and think more abstractly about materials, light and textures. Macro photos doesn't have to have recognizable elements...the viewer doesn't have to know "what it is", but simply enjoy what is beautiful.

Different colored lights and metal mesh, a vibrating surface of mercury with a couple of LEDs giving both highlights and casting shadows, prisms sunk into colored liquid and some powerful lights, beautiful glossy lips...whatever would look interesting and/or beautiful if you were 1/10 of an inch tall :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 am 

Bugs and boring? Have you ever tried to capture them in flight with a macro lens? I challenged myself to give it a try this spring and first I ended up with 2,000 blurry shots which all got deleted. I did not give up and got pictures like this one after a while:

Pretty boring huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 am 
Ernie - very well done - and shots like that - bring a whole different perspective on the game of macro photography

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:20 pm 
Ernie wrote:
Bugs and boring? Have you ever tried to capture them in flight with a macro lens? I challenged myself to give it a try this spring and first I ended up with 2,000 blurry shots which all got deleted. I did not give up and got pictures like this one after a while:

Pretty boring huh?

That is really good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 am 
I love stuff like this. Great job.