Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:20 am 
Helping a friend who is a makup artist take a few pictures for a little portfolio. Nothing special and on a 0$ budget. (with the exception of my Fiance, D300, tripod)

here are some pictures I took last night.

I know NOTHING about lighting other than a few tips I've read on the web regarding lighting positions, 3 point lighting for portrait photography, etc. Unfortunately, my budget is about 0$ maybe less. :lol: :lol:

say, if all I had at my disposal was home depot, and the lightbulb/lighting department...what can I rig up that will work ok. I'm not looking for super professional results, and don't expect them, just curious on if there is anything I can rig up to get some better results.

I'm happy with the above shots for the most part, only getting into photography in July, and still learning photoshop, however it did take a good 400 shots to get about 20 "decent" ones... :lol:

my friend was blown away by the pictures, and were better than ones he had paid for, he is having a few people come over next week for me to take more pictures and i wanted to have a few backdrops and some better lighting....any tips? Don't mind spending a few bucks at the hardware store for some bulbs and such to make do. the lighting in the above pictures was one of these jobbers with im not even sure what kind of bulb, incandescent, not sure on wattage, white though. and another standing house lamp with a florescent bulb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:33 am 
I like them :)
Although i don't like the lighting in nr.2. It's too harsh imo. The DoF could've been a little bigger in nr.3 (I like it this way, but if it's to show off makeup then it's maybe not the best ;)) and the last one seems a little unsharp.

Anyways, good pictures, i really like them - especially nr. 1 and nr. 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:50 am 
I'm no expert when it comes to lighting. But one thing I do know and that is that in the circumstances you describe taking photos in it is very important to use the right white balance setting. You'd best use a custom WB. If you don't know how to do this check your manual.

My guess is you used Auto WB in these shots. They are quite different in colour. Only look at the last two. You should also look into avoiding the green cast of reflected light from the green background by using a light source to remove that and/or have the model stand less close to the background.

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:16 pm 
RPMcMurphy wrote:
I know NOTHING about lighting other than a few tips I've read on the web regarding lighting positions, 3 point lighting for portrait photography, etc.

Oh, and it shows.

RPMcMurphy wrote:
say, if all I had at my disposal was home depot, and the lightbulb/lighting department...what can I rig up that will work ok. I'm not looking for super professional results, and don't expect them, just curious on if there is anything I can rig up to get some better results.

I'm happy with the above shots for the most part, only getting into photography in July, and still learning photoshop, however it did take a good 400 shots to get about 20 "decent" ones...

Can I suggest a $0 method? Natural light. If you start off from the basics and work your lighting knowledge up, it'll be easier than what I've read in your post. The low keep rate from your camera work and your acknowledgment of your lighting knowledge suggests the need to go back to square one.