Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jostlyn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:30 am 
i plan on competing in a state comp and maybe even national so i'm building up my portfolio so please judge theses very hard

I know its kind of a funky back ground someone painted it them selves so i thought i'd try it, kinda wish i had used some different back grounds though. i also messed up and you can see the floor in some of these, ignore that i'm going to crop it out. If you had to choose just one what would it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 am 
I think most need a little tighter crop. There's a bit too much room around your model.

+ points:
I think you've nailed her poses in numbers 5 and 8.

Yeah the background is 'okay'. But more importantly, I think you've nailed the lighting as well. The lighting is great in all of these. You have the right amount hairlight, main and fill light going on.

Backgrounds, I can't stop thinking about a gray background with a lighter spotlight in the center. So a circular gradient type background. I don't know why, but that was the first backdrop that came to my mind.

If I could only chose one, It would be #5.

Another note on the lighting, it's not entirely a bad thing at all really, and you don't need it at all; but, if you could have spread your fill light just to get a little more of her face (#5, left side of face), it would help to lighten it up a bit. Or if you could have used a reflector...

That's the other thing. For some of these, it's dark on dark. Dark hair, dark shirt, dark background. Perhaps a separate light with a gel on it to lighten up the backdrop a different color...

On that note, I think you did very well, but just some crops here and there, and your set.

Keep working on poses, and compositions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 am 
Sdrummer wrote:
I think most need a little tighter crop. There's a bit too much room around your model.

+ points:

Yeah the background is 'okay'. But more importantly, I think you've nailed the lighting as well. The lighting is great in all of these. You have the right amount hairlight, main and fill light going on.

Backgrounds, I can't stop thinking about a gray background with a lighter spotlight in the center. So a circular gradient type background. I don't know why, but that was the first backdrop that came to my mind.

Another note on the lighting, it's not entirely a bad thing at all really, and you don't need it at all; but, if you could have spread your fill light just to get a little more of her face (#5, left side of face), it would help to lighten it up a bit. Or if you could have used a reflector...

That's the other thing. For some of these, it's dark on dark. Dark hair, dark shirt, dark background. Perhaps a separate light with a gel on it to lighten up the backdrop a different color...

On that note, I think you did very well, but just some crops here and there, and your set.

You don't need "a circular gradient type background".

Elementary here...you're missing the background light to get that separation between the subject and background. A hairlight would also be useful. It applies to every one of the images here.

I think you need a reshoot...

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:45 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:

+ points:

You don't need "a circular gradient type background".

Elementary here...you're missing the background light to get that separation between the subject and background. A hairlight would also be useful. It applies to every one of the images here.

I think you need a reshoot...

Thanks for sharing.

Sdrummer: thanks for your input, my first photo shoot i was to close but i over corrected this time i figured i could always crop in, next time i'll get the framing right on. i have about ten backgrounds to work with i'm almost positve one of them is gray, i'll try that next time with the background light aimed higher, also i'll have my model bring a few different shirts to wear. i notice the dark side of her face on #5 now as well i had a reflector but it may have missed her i think my problem there was the position of the main light it was to far to the side of her i should have moved it more to the front of her.

PhotoJ: Hmmm i agree they are to dark, my background light was a little low i need to aim it up higher next time and perhaps turn it up to full power, and my hair light was turned up all the way, maybe i placed my subject out of the range of the light. I even had two accent lights turned all the way up as well.

This was only my second studio shoot but now i'm pretty sure i know what i did wrong. next time different clothing lighter background with light aimed higher, i need to review my pictures more and pay attention to all the small details. any one else have a suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 pm 

The background on the first couple of pictures I find quite distracting... Though the photo's aren't bad, I think Photoj nailed the fact that the hair's too dark pretty well.

Good luck!