Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 pm 
I had a small window of time to swing by an old friends wedding the other night a took a few pictures at the reception for some practice.

I was using my 40D, 580ex II flash, and kit lens 28-135mm.

I was having a difficult time shooting verticle shots of people while bouncing flash off the ceiling. I turned the flash to the right of the camera to it can bounce off the ceiling when I turn the camera sideways.

I was in the P mode and played around a little bit but I couldn't really get a decent shot that way. I had to resort to all horizontal shots.

Anyone have any tips or something I messed up/overlooked?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:43 pm 
Uhm.. where is the pictures? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:00 pm 
yeah, sorry no pictures right now. I'm not to proud of them, I'll see what if I can come up with a few.

I didn't know if I was expiriencing something common or not.

thanks for reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm 
I thought you had posted some pictures, and wanted them looked at :P Sorry, my bad.

I don't have an external flash (:() so i don't really know that much about it. Sounds right to me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:48 pm 
csmonte wrote:
yeah, sorry no pictures right now. I'm not to proud of them, I'll see what if I can come up with a few.

I didn't know if I was expiriencing something common or not.

thanks for reply

Common problem for the inexperienced.

Reasons:

1. Not calculating the ceiling to subject distance. If the venue had high ceilings, then bouncing won't work with light dispersal.
2. Neglecting the colour of the ceiling/surface bounced from - if you recall my assessment of the wooden ceiling in one of your previous wedding threads, the colour of the ceiling will affect the colour of the light bounced.
3. Potentially neglecting walls or other objects to bounce from that are nearer than the ceiling - the white shirt of a guest can quite easily act as a potential bounce surface! etc...
4. Hotshoe flash in portrait/vertical orientation will cast a harsh shadow on the right of the subject - this is down to the position of the strobe in relation to the lens. Easily overcome by off-camera flash or a flash bracket.
5. Not using gels to balance the strobe with the ambient light.

Hence I can't say I'm surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 pm 
I have the same exact setup - 40D, 580 EX II and 28-135. I have had a similar learning curve and must echo some of Photoj's remarks. It's been a lot of trial and error, but I finally learned to bounce light off things other than the ceiling. I also like (and some people will moan on this one) my Gary Fong C4 Cloud diffuser. I have a smaller Sto-Fen diffuser that helps a bit too in the case of harsh light from one side of the subject. I also like moving the subject (if I can) where they have a light source on the opposite side to balance with the flash.