Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:18 am 
Hi, I would like to know if there are any tutorials or forums on how to work with light when taking pictures outdoor or indoor(studio photography). Because these last couple of days there were a lot of people asking me to take their picture at the beach or maybe even in my future studio. That is if there's a cheap way of making a studio. I have a SB-600 flash and I don't know if that could come in handy when photo shooting? But anyways, any tips you guys could give me on photo shooting would be really great :D!

PS: I already got a model for next week, we'll probably go to the beach to take some pictures :P . So the sooner I get some great tips, THE BETTER :D!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:19 am 
Interesting position you are in here.. :lol:

There is simply too much to teach over a post or two, but I suggest learning how to use your flash as a fill-flash first.

Check DSLRTips or even YouTube and search for fill-flash techniques. This can come in handy when you go to the beach.

As far as studio work, do you want to create a "full" studio with strobe lights and backdrops etc'. Or do you want a more portable solution/outdoor work with a couple of external flashes and reflectors?

So in other words, Lite studio? or full-out studio?

How serious do you want to get into portrait and studio photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 am 
Here in DK you can get two decent studio flashes, two flash tripod things, two umbrellas and a white background thing for like 400 bucks.

Go to your local camerastore, or go to one online, and look for some books about lightning, and there's tons of books of portrait and people-photography.

Or maybe even better; look in the yellow pages and see if there's a pro photographer near you, and maybe you could call him and ask for some tips, or even meet with him? Or come see in his studio, and see how he works.

Can you have the flash flashing wireless? OR with cables, anyway that you wont have it mounted on your camera? Cus that sure makes a lot more options for creative lighting possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:49 am 
seriously, there's no way i can teach everything you everything i know...
which is only 1/3rd of what other photographers on this board know...

best i could do is ask you to post the shots you take...

that way we can critique them as you go along...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 am 
Sdrummer wrote:
Interesting position you are in here.. :lol:

There is simply too much to teach over a post or two, but I suggest learning how to use your flash as a fill-flash first.

Check DSLRTips or even YouTube and search for fill-flash techniques. This can come in handy when you go to the beach.

As far as studio work, do you want to create a "full" studio with strobe lights and backdrops etc'. Or do you want a more portable solution/outdoor work with a couple of external flashes and reflectors?

So in other words, Lite studio? or full-out studio?

How serious do you want to get into portrait and studio photography?

:D I already searched on Youtube a couple of times but couldn't find much. But basically what I want to do is start taking pictures outside, for example at the beach. And yes I'm talking about taking pictures of people at the beach, I already have a model who is willing to work with me. So that's pretty good! Uhm studio photography is going to be a problem I think, unless I find a video or a forum or what so ever to explain me what I need and how to work with everything. I think I would like to get pretty serious in portrait photography, I have different interests but portrait photography is definitely one of the top ones. I should really get to know how to work with light etc. Because I'm getting a lot of requests lately to do photo shooting. And I would like some outstanding results :D. So if you have any tips just let me know :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:08 am 
0eyvind wrote:
Here in DK you can get two decent studio flashes, two flash tripod things, two umbrellas and a white background thing for like 400 bucks.

Go to your local camerastore, or go to one online, and look for some books about lightning, and there's tons of books of portrait and people-photography.

Or maybe even better; look in the yellow pages and see if there's a pro photographer near you, and maybe you could call him and ask for some tips, or even meet with him? Or come see in his studio, and see how he works.

Can you have the flash flashing wireless? OR with cables, anyway that you wont have it mounted on your camera? Cus that sure makes a lot more options for creative lighting possible.

Alright, your talking about studio photography. But one question, are all those things really necessary to get outstanding results? Thanks in advance :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:12 am 
palakaboy wrote:
seriously, there's no way i can teach everything you everything i know...
which is only 1/3rd of what other photographers on this board know...

best i could do is ask you to post the shots you take...

that way we can critique them as you go along...

Oh ok, I do have some pictures from 2 weeks ago which I took at the beach. Uhm could you tell me how to upload them in this post? Then I'll show you some of them :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:20 pm 
Media Masters Aruba wrote:
Alright, your talking about studio photography. But one question, are all those things really necessary to get outstanding results? Thanks in advance :D.

They shouldn't be necesary. But they will help i think. I don't know that much about, actually nothing really :P Just saw it when i was looking up the price for a flash.
So no, i don't think they're necesary. :)