Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:48 am 
I went out practicing my Portrait images and trying to improve them. I did the guy first and about a week later I took the picture of the girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:22 am 
Great pictures. I'm not so good at constructive critic, so i'll be leaving that out.

2nd and 2nd-last is my favourites. And the first one is great too. Good job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:36 am 
Thanks for sharing your images with us. I'll keep this sweet.

I had observed your other thread regarding a friend's wedding, and you've made the right call. There's a lot you need to work on with your knowledge on lighting. General issues with all your images (with the exception of the last one) are fill light, lack of contrast, DoF, focusing and framing. There's a slight improvement with the second attempt where you are filling less of the central portion of the frame. However you're shooting against a sun, whereas the first shoot was entirely in shade.

The reason why your last image works is that you hit the DoF and lighting right. It's not always flattering to use a profile of a head but given your lighting, you can get away with that. The lighting here is unidirectional, limited by the structure she's standing under - using cover outdoors is a great way to control light, and if you want more tips, head over to my blog for the outdoor portraiture post. Composition wise, it just about scrapes through but I'd like to have placed her even closer to the right frame edge to get more depth in the image and use that line of light as a psuedo-leading line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:23 pm 
To be honest I really don't know anything about lighting. I just look at things that I like I guess. How are you supposed to know what it is to look for? Or what is there to know?

Thanks!

Post subject: Going up...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 pm 
Jordan:

I know there are many, many good books on photography and perhaps you have immersed yourself in a countless number already. Nevertheless, there are two that I would recommend. I am not claiming that these are the best, just that they are extremely useful and concise. The titles are Understanding Digital Photography: Techniques for Getting Great Pictures, and Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography. Both are written by Bryan Peterson. He writes with an easy, person-to-person style that is both pleasant to read and extremely informative. If they are not available locally, you can purchase them on Amazon.com. I would also recommend that you consider taking some photography courses from basis thru portraiture. This path may provide you with the foundation for understanding the critiques offered by the pros (or semi-pros) as well as substantially improve your craft. Good Luck![/u]

Post subject: Re: Going up...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:13 am 
SteveD wrote:
Jordan:

I know there are many, many good books on photography and perhaps you have immersed yourself in a countless number already. Nevertheless, there are two that I would recommend. I am not claiming that these are the best, just that they are extremely useful and concise. The titles are Understanding Digital Photography: Techniques for Getting Great Pictures, and Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography. Both are written by Bryan Peterson. He writes with an easy, person-to-person style that is both pleasant to read and extremely informative. If they are not available locally, you can purchase them on Amazon.com. I would also recommend that you consider taking some photography courses from basis thru portraiture. This path may provide you with the foundation for understanding the critiques offered by the pros (or semi-pros) as well as substantially improve your craft. Good Luck![/u]

Thanks bud