Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:08 pm 
my first one!

pardon if the results are 100% the best of my work...i'm still getting used to the D90.

thank goodness this is just a practice shoot.

ENJOY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:23 pm 
There are too many to critique, so I'll keep this brief. There are many more misses than hits, but you ought to be proud of #4 as the stand out image - the clever PP to turn it monochrome removes the obvious direct flashwork. Cloning out the highlight on her cheek will hide the evidence further. Even with direct flash, it's the only one that has semblance to good exposure and lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:30 pm 
thanks. i wasn't too confident with these series of shots- i feel the same way about more misses than hits. i was hoping for a bit more C&C so that i can see exactly what was going wrong.

thanks again for the C&C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:31 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
thanks. i wasn't too confident with these series of shots- i feel the same way about more misses than hits. i was hoping for a bit more C&C so that i can see exactly what was going wrong.

I'll do some over dinner. Keep an eye out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:33 pm 
Photoj wrote:
palakaboy wrote:

I'll do some over dinner. Keep an eye out.

dang! you respond quick!

thanks Photoj!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:51 pm 
I like the last shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:29 pm 
I'm pretty quick to reply as everything's connected to my email, which gets sent to my phone. As dinner's cooking on the stove, I'll make this quick.

#1: Simple and effective composition. The couple might like it, but it doesn't do it for me - backlighting missed the facial emotion. That would have been a good image had it eye contact. There is also a hint of handiwork from 2 of my monitors - the sRGB calibrated one looks alright, but with the other two which have different profiles, just above the bride-to-be's head there are a few dark traces of a paintbrush.

#2: Distracting grass in foreground. Crotch level is daring, but what kills this image is the overexposed background. The sunlight is coming in from camera left, so you're doing okay in terms of lighting direction (in that you're not shooting into the sun) but do try and find cover when you're outdoors to give better lighting control - see my blog entry on outdoor portraits for some tips on how to deal with light better.

#3: Creative composition! Severly let down by crooked horizon and lighting. He's underexposed by being far away from the fill flash. Had he stood a few steps back into the spot of sunlight, it might have been okay.

#4: A bit too much tilt, but the best of the lot. Note the cheek comment in the earlier post to hide the direct flash with PP. Slight gradient in sky suggests it's not blown.

#5: #1 excepted, this one has the most contrast and vibrance applied. The framing is too tight and it would have been good to see both of his hands. Overexposed sky.

#6: Flat lighting. There's a green tint cast on your subjects by the greenery acting as a reflector. A backlight or hairlight on the groom-to-be would have made a more distinct separation between foliage and the subjects.

#7: Needs fill light and for the right foot of the bride-to-be not to be part cropped off.

#8: Not enough eyes and far too tight with this composition. Overexposed sky. Monochrome can't save this one. Side-on people shots (profiles) aren't usually flattering. This is no exception.

#9: Tight composition which could do with more space above their heads. I would have shot this more straight on than this so that what they're sitting on lines up across the frame. As it is, the perspective will leave it slanted. Missed opportunity as the natural light is working great as a hairlight. I might have also underexposed this one a bit too to accentuate that light.

#10: Tight crop again (recurring theme) and green tint. Needs fill light to add drama and separation between subjects and environment.

#11: Profile people shot. Need I say more? She needs reflected light or a fill light on her face.

#12: Lacks DoF and I would have framed it wider with more space around them. Fill light is needed around his face.

Common themes to look out for then:

- cropping/framing too tightly
- keeping an eye out on exposure and high dynamic ranges; try to minimise them by using cover
- generally avoid profiles (unless backlit, like #1)
- knowing how to work around sunlight better
- better fill lighting techniques are needed

You're kind of on the right path by exploring various angles, but the issue mentioned above are fairly big to work on, particularly lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 pm 
Thanks for the comments! i really appreciate them!

my partner wasn't able to make it onto the shoot and we only had less than an hour to work so a lot of my lighting suffered.

normally we'd be using reflectors or off camera flashes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:48 pm 
#9 for me is the stand out image and whilst I agree with Eds' comments on how he would shoot it to make it even better I still think it's a stunning pic as it stands and would be very proud to have shot that one. I am sure the couple will love it.

No other comments to add really I think Ed's covered it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:09 am 
Palakaboy kindly let me edit his image - what I've done to get the edited version is shown on my latest blog entry.

Before on the left, after on the right.

EDIT: rechecked colour profiles, and settled for a compromise suited to Apple

Last edited by Photoj on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:41 pm 
I love that you rotated it the last picture, so she stands up right, and he's to the side (as the ground is). Looks very nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:44 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Palakaboy kindly let me edit his image - what I've done to get the edited version is shown on my latest blog entry.

Before on the left, after on the right.

I think the right one looks much to red. That's no healthy skincolor. But it might be because I'm using a mac, it tends to show images with too much saturation

Edit - Now it's nice. Your changes are subtile but pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
Thanks for the comments! i really appreciate them!

my partner wasn't able to make it onto the shoot and we only had less than an hour to work so a lot of my lighting suffered.

normally we'd be using reflectors or off camera flashes..

Just what I was going to say. My rule is never use built in flash. Takes away from the image.