Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:48 pm 
Right now im looking at getting

Flash

Metz 48 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Olympus

Lens

14-42 F3.5-5.6 ZUIKO ED

Well this due?

Also I have a question about printing the photo's.
This couple is looking to have big prints for their familes and whatnot.
I have an 8mp camera. Will this do good?

She wants to know if I can do big prints and what not..What should I say?

Also im looking to get a tripod but I don't know anything about them..help?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
8MP, id say 8x10, 8x12 - No problems at all.

A3 would be big...so i dunno how it would cope, never printed at that size yet.

My 350D printed fine at 8x10 though.


ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Standard Lens.

FL-36 Flash

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:49 pm 
Well I already have a 40-150mm lens
will a 14-42 be good?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 pm 
Okay I just talked to the girl im doing the wedding for. I have a budget of $700.00 to get everything I can use.

Any help on what I should be looking at?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:54 pm 
I've not done weddings before but I have now done a couple of low light shoots, on that budget you will definitely need a flash and my second thought would be something like a 50mm prime f1.8 or so just incase flash cannot be used through the ceremony (as I said I have not done weddings but I am assuming that not all priests / vicars will allows the use of them?) so a low light capable lens like the one mentioned *may* be a good purchase, but having said that I would wait until one of the regular wedding photog's suggest more for you....

Good luck, you will be nervous as hell but once that first shoot is over and you are looking back it is very exciting.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Standard Lens.

FL-36 Flash

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Back out!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 am 
Don't do it. Have your friend hire a professional. If it goes wrong, she will have him to blame-not you. However, you, too, can take all the wedding photos you want since she asked you to do it. Maybe you could even assist the professional. In any event, at this point in time, don't let your ego overide your common sense and respect for your friend. Good luck!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:37 am 
Regarding your print size,

At 8 megapixels, I'm sure you can get some nice quality out of a 16x20. 8x10's look fine from 5mp. So you can somewhat see the pattern as the megapixels get higher...


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back out!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:56 am 
SteveD wrote:
Don't do it. Have your friend hire a professional. If it goes wrong, she will have him to blame-not you. However, you, too, can take all the wedding photos you want since she asked you to do it. Maybe you could even assist the professional. In any event, at this point in time, don't let your ego overide your common sense and respect for your friend. Good luck!


Best advice I have read in this whole thread.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back out!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 pm 
just take the pix wrote:
SteveD wrote:
Don't do it. Have your friend hire a professional. If it goes wrong, she will have him to blame-not you. However, you, too, can take all the wedding photos you want since she asked you to do it. Maybe you could even assist the professional. In any event, at this point in time, don't let your ego overide your common sense and respect for your friend. Good luck!


Best advice I have read in this whole thread.


however, if you're still planning on moving forward i'd suggest looking at various wedding photographers' portfolios to see what kind of shots you'll need.

as far as gear goes, you'll need lenses with an f-stop faster than 3... which is usually about 2.8 and 1.8 and 1.4. and a good flash with a diffuser- i recommend the Gary Fong Lightspher cloud with an amber flash filter.

i'd suggest renting if your budget is only 700$.



this is a once in a lifetime event that you MUST NOT screw up...

you won't be able to get away with just one lens for this.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Back out!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
just take the pix wrote:
SteveD wrote:
Don't do it. Have your friend hire a professional. If it goes wrong, she will have him to blame-not you. However, you, too, can take all the wedding photos you want since she asked you to do it. Maybe you could even assist the professional. In any event, at this point in time, don't let your ego overide your common sense and respect for your friend. Good luck!


Best advice I have read in this whole thread.


however, if you're still planning on moving forward i'd suggest looking at various wedding photographers' portfolios to see what kind of shots you'll need.

as far as gear goes, you'll need lenses with an f-stop faster than 3... which is usually about 2.8 and 1.8 and 1.4. and a good flash with a diffuser- i recommend the Gary Fong Lightspher cloud with an amber flash filter.

i'd suggest renting if your budget is only 700$.



this is a once in a lifetime event that you MUST NOT screw up...

you won't be able to get away with just one lens for this.

'
Thanks, I read everyones post's. I realized you're right i'm not a pro or experienced enough to be help responsible for this kind of thing. So I told her, she said that's fine and that she will get a professional photographer. I'm still going to do their engagment photo's though =]

Only thing that sucks about it is I don't get all that stuff I planned to get sooner or later anyways =[


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Courage and Common Sense
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:12 pm 
Caldwell: I know of few people who would have the courage or the common sense to do what you have just done. Not that it really matters, but I would like to say that I have the greatest respect for you. I do believe you have done the right thing and I have a sense about how difficult it must have been because of the hope for new equipment and your desire to truly help a friend. Realistic self-assessment and honesty come at a price. You have paid that price and I am sure that your friend also admires you for it. If you would truly like to become a wedding photographer, do so. Study, work with a mentor, practice and do all of the other things a person needs to do in order to succeed. I am confident that you will succeed and that you will also maintain your integrity and your most meaningful relationships in the process. Again, I wish you good fortune. And my hat is off to you.

Steve


Last edited by SteveD on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
Yeah good call Caldwell.

What I would say though is take all the gear you would have to the wedding, and take some pics as if you had still taken on the job you will learn bucket loads and you might just get some images that your friend will be truly greatful of - look for shots that will compliment the pros, maybe slightly more candid - reaction / emotion shots that are taken while the pro is posing the families all that sort of thing.

This also gives you the chance to put a few images in your portfolio and there is ZERO pressure, if they don't come out good well at least you haven't ruined anyones big day!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:49 am 
SteveD wrote:
Caldwell: I know of few people who would have the courage or the common sense to do what you have just done. Not that it really matters, but I would like to say that I have the greatest respect for you. I do believe you have done the right thing and I have a sense about how difficult it must have been because of the hope for new equipment and your desire to truly help a friend. Realistic self-assessment and honesty come at a price. You have paid that price and I am sure that your friend also admires you for it. If you would truly like to become a wedding photographer, do so. Study, work with a mentor, practice and do all of the other things a person needs to do in order to succeed. I am confident that you will succeed and that you will also maintain your integrity and most meaningful relationships in the process. Again, I wish you good fortune. And my hat is off to you.

Steve


Thanks alot man, that makes me feel alot better about my decision. You're right though. It's not my place for being an amature to try and capture a one time kind of thing day.

I told her I am still going to take my camera and mabey i'll get a few shots she would really like. I'd still love to help out any way I could. Thanks alot Steve

Jordan

Yeah Mark-A I plan on taking my camera to atleast try and help out. Get a few practice shots out and mabey learn a thing or too.

I did go out practicing with my friends on some portrait pictures.

Please tell me what you might like/dislike about these pictures here

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... 9984#69984


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group