Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:59 am 
Well, some of you have seen me around the fourms working on and getting tips on my photography work. I have alot of my pictures on my myspace and one of my friends said she liked them alot and wanted to know if I would do her wedding that she is having in January.

I'm pretty pumped about it. Only one problem though. I don't know anything about wedding photography! (I'm doing this for free by the way)

So can anyone....ANYONE! please give me some tips and advice on portrait/wedding photography. I really want to make this perfect.

I went out today with a buddy of mine to practice on Portrait photography so if it would help in anyway to post the pictures let me know, and I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:52 am 

photoj had the best run down of wedding photography posted a couple of months ago...

a list of things to think about and prepare for...shots not to miss, how to set up, etc. It is a good thread, Caldwell...if I could just find it...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:44 am 
First thing to realise is that you'll need extra gear. At least another lens and a decent flash unit. And that would probably be the bare minimum.

Ben

(Edit: typo)

Last edited by Cam-I-Am on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:07 pm 
Hi Caldwell,

You'll find the following article in Ed's (aka photoj) blog about wedding photography:

http://journeysintophotography.blogspot ... raphy.html

In terms of kit you should consider a back-up camera if you're going to be the person responsible for all the pics. I was at a wedding once and the photographer only had one camera and it packed in half way through. He spent about 20 mins trying to get it going again and luckily he did... I have never seen someone sweat so much while standing still :lol:.

So yeah think about getting some more kit (you could rent for now and buy later when you're sure you'll be doing more work).

Oh, and don't make the mistake of trying to get clean images by using low ISOs. I've seen some very risky shots taken at 1/13 sec at 200mm and the sharpness is usually lost to either camera shake or motion blur. So don't be afraid to up the ISO - a noisy shot is better than a blurred one and it can add another artistic element to the image.

Good luck!!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:32 pm 

Right. I read the first little bit of Ed's article.

5-10!!! 2-4Gb Cards? WHAT!

I use 4 x 2Gb Cards, thats MORE than enough, even for RAW.

Bottle of water? WHAT!? I go out without breakfast, 5 hours sleep, and dont get anything to drink till 4-6pm. - Be Hardcore, carrying more just means more hassle, and imagine if that water got into a lens =O

As for Lenses. Get f/2.8 zooms if possible, because weddings can get dark. maybe 2 more fast primes, a 50mm equiv and a 85m/135mm equiv f/1.8 or faster.

I use a 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and that covers just abut everything. a 16-36 thrown in for good measure would mean I had all but the most extreme angles covered.

So to recap:

1) Good Flashgun with a bounce card and wide angle diffuser
2) A pair of f/2.8 zooms. from decent wide angle to telephoto
3) A pair of f/1.8 primes, 50mm and 85/135mm equiv (not needed)
4) Good shoulder/messenger bag that is easy to get stuf out off.
5) Another camera, probably a E3/E520

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:40 pm 

Shooting only raws, I'd estimate that's maybe 500-800 shots on 4x2GB cards depending on camera. Not many for a full day unless you're sparing the shots. But do you really want to economise on shots? With bigger cards available now at competitive speed/capacity/price, I don't see much point buying multiple smaller ones. I'm thinking of selling my small collection of 2GB ones but they're not worth the effort...

Random thought assuming someone starting out: do you really need bright lenses if you're using flash anyway? That is purely from a lighting perspective, I can understand the want of controlled bokeh where suitable.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:44 pm 
whoa..umm...hmm lets see...ive had my camera for like...2 weeks? lol

That's alot for a wedding. I've got alot of money to be saving up for some new len's and what not. I think i'll need a macro and a wide angle zoom lens.

Right now all I have is and E-500 w/ a 40-150mm lens.

So would you say a macro and a normal/wide angle zoom lens?
Is a flash gun really neccesary?

If so can you help me out with what I might need to be prepared. I've got 3 months and alot to do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:14 pm 

I think a avg. zoom lens capable of low F-numbers should do oka. However a flashgun would be recomended, since the built-in flash usually sucks.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:28 pm 
Wow okay everyone im stressin the hell out right now hahah it's 3 months away. I just talked to the girl who's wedding it is im doing this for and she said she would pay for whatever it is I need.

Right now I am equipped with the following:

- Olympus E-500
- Olympus 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens

What I need
- Macro lens
- Regular / wide angle lens
- Tripod
- Flash gun

...wow Is there anyone who can help me out finding these things?
I wouldn't know where to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:30 pm 

800 shots is overkill.

They arn't going to have 80 shots in an album never mind 800.

The solution - Don't shoot to many crap photos.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:32 pm 

You Dont need a macro lens.

You need to get a Wide lens, Regular lens and a telephoto.

Preferable F/4 or f/2.8 Constant.

and a flashgun, and maybe a second body.

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:33 pm 
DD_nVidia wrote:
Right. I read the first little bit of Ed's article.

5-10!!! 2-4Gb Cards? WHAT!

I use 4 x 2Gb Cards, thats MORE than enough, even for RAW.

Bottle of water? WHAT!? I go out without breakfast, 5 hours sleep, and dont get anything to drink till 4-6pm. - Be Hardcore, carrying more just means more hassle, and imagine if that water got into a lens =O

As for Lenses. Get f/2.8 zooms if possible, because weddings can get dark. maybe 2 more fast primes, a 50mm equiv and a 85m/135mm equiv f/1.8 or faster.

I use a 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and that covers just abut everything. a 16-36 thrown in for good measure would mean I had all but the most extreme angles covered.

So to recap:

1) Good Flashgun with a bounce card and wide angle diffuser
2) A pair of f/2.8 zooms. from decent wide angle to telephoto
3) A pair of f/1.8 primes, 50mm and 85/135mm equiv (not needed)
4) Good shoulder/messenger bag that is easy to get stuf out off.
5) Another camera, probably a E3/E520

Thanks for your input Daniel. Let's take a few things into perspective:

- Number of cards and total memory is a minor thing. For the "weaker" photographers, they will benefit with taking more images to boost their success rate. For the experienced, you'll know what to take and so memory becomes less an issue. Reducing the number of "crap" photos is hard when you don't shoot weddings regularly.

EDIT: When you're in the profession it's terribly easy to make such comments, but in reality it's not that simple. I prefer a level approach to entering the wedding photography scene. Equipment comes later - experience comes first.

- Advice with the bottle of water comes with my chosen line of profession. Keep it separate from your kit bag in the day-pack section, or through a looped external lens pouch. We can't all be unhealthy, like you.

- Fast lenses are great to have, but for those not doing it as paid work like Caldwell, it might not be financially viable. ISO boosting may lose a little in quality and effect compared to fast glass, but may be more within reach of many.

Last edited by Photoj on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:36 pm 

A combination of high iso and fast apertures is the best i guess. Also something like F2.8 would be great for portraits of the bride and groom.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:38 pm 
DD_nVidia wrote:
You Dont need a macro lens.

You need to get a Wide lens, Regular lens and a telephoto.

Preferable F/4 or f/2.8 Constant.

and a flashgun, and maybe a second body.

Well I really dont have the money for a second body

Well do you have any suggestion on the len's and the flashgun???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:22 pm 

Ah its PhotoJ =D

I'm not unhealthy(ok if you ignore the caffine and suger consumption...maybe..but I can cope with that, im young =D), i'm just to lazy to carry the stuff, besides im not the most co-ordinated of people lol, so if I was to fall, i'd rather take less glass down with me LOL. Hence the 2 lens situation

As for it being finantialy viable, well, i never said it was lol - I was just giving the ideal setup from which he could make compromises on.

We dont have a budget, so i couldnt really spec anything out - plus im not quite up to date on the olympus kit.

Budget Kit: Constant F4 Standard Zoom, Half Decent Telephoto, a midrange flash

That should be all you need.

MY FLICKR!