Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:05 pm 

This is my daughter Sofie.. I took these pics while we were out & about messing around on a golf course, now I didnt expect them to come out that well, but I actually really like them... BUT... i dont think the colours look that good...what do you think? how could I have/can I improve them?

1.. Image

2.. Image

3.. Image

4.. Image

5.. Image

6.. Image

7.. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:29 pm 

Question; Do you want it sugar coated or brutal CC? Also please state what camera you're using.

Seeing as you haven't mentioned I'll just say which ones I like, and give the odd pointer;

I like 5 and 6.

I think some of the expressions are a bit hit and miss otherwise, but I'm nit picking here.

The sky seems a bit overexposed in all of them.

The camera doesn't seem to have focused properly in a fair number of the shots either.

Regards,
-Greg

Nikon D700, Nikon D80, Micro Nikkor 105 f2.8 AI-S,Nikon 85mm 1.8D, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Nikon 35mm F2D, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-200VRII, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 300mm f2.8 AI IF ED, SB-800, SB-900. Noiseware pro,NIK Dfine, Nik Colour Effex, Nik Sharpener Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:36 pm 

The paler photos are a bit overexposed. If you decrease the brightness and increase the contrast a bit you'll find the colours will become more vivid too. Additionally you could up the saturation a bit and presto. Instant great photos.

Don't you love digital photography? :)

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:44 pm 

Clair, welcome to the forum!

Greg - I believe it was the 450D (see here)

#5 is the pick, though the point of focus is more the shoulder than the eyes...

I'll refrain from further comments (those who know me will know why), but overall for a newbie, a solid start. Just be careful with where you pick your focus point to be, your highlights and start using the histogram to help you.

EDIT: amended typo

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Photoj on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 pm 

Photoj wrote:
Clair, welcome to the forum!

Greg - I believe it was the 450D (see here)

#5 is the pick, though the point of focus is more the shoulder than the eyes...

I'll refrain from further comments (those who know me will know why), but overall for a newbie, a solid start. Just be careful with where you pick for focus point to be, your highlights and start using the histogram to help you.

Agreed.

If you see that you are having a hard time focusing on the area that you want, I recommend that you lock your focus first. Meaning, you focus using the center focus point, click and half hold the shutter release to focus and lock it, then move your camera to the position you need to compose your image.

So basically, focus on the subject area, keep the shutter held, and then adjust your positioning. Just remember not to move forward or backward during this process as your distance to the subject will change.

The next thing I'll say is that you need to watch out for the direction of light. Look and see which direction the light is coming from and then position your model so that most parts of your subject will not be overexposed or underexposed.

Really, the biggest "negative" I see in these shot's is incorrect focusing.

As far as composition is concerned; well, it'll be a lot to type out, but continue to try different perspectives, angles, and poses. Familiarize yourself with some portrait compositions. Things like where what should be placed (i.e. shoulders, lower body, head etc...)

Overall, good job getting out there at a great location too, and taking some portraits. Keep practicing and please do keep us updated!

Best wishes,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:47 pm 

you have nailed it at image no.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:21 am 

I quite like the #3 and #5.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you Joey. The #6 is a very uninteresting shot for me. I don't like this kind of composition. And I can't see her face at all, like in the #7. The smile in #2 looks fake. Her emotions in #1 and #4 look real but not very appealing IMO.

Sorry if my comments are a little too harsh. But I think the #3 and 5 are well done and if I were you I would be satisfied to have two good portrait shots for an afternoon.

The colors look alright to me. You might want to pull the highlights back a little bit and to add some saturation in software.

Cheers,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:08 am 

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to comment...Please dont be afraid to speak the truth & be harsh - I need to hear it to learn how to improve!

For me 5 & 6 are the best shots... maybe not perfect but definitely keepers! :D

I will be more aware of my focusing... I didnt know I could 'lock' the focusing??! :oops: Sometimes when i'm looking & trying to take the photo the centre point just won't focus...what am I doing wrong?..I try moving slightly but it doesn't help, all the other focus point go red & it beeps but just not the centre one...does that mean I just shouldn't take that shot?
am I right in thinking you can change the settings so you only have the one centre focus point - would that be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm 

You're letting the camera choose the AF point. You need to change the mode of AF selection to point selection. You'll also find your AF-Lock button on the top right of the back of your 450D.

Image #6 is more a candid snapshot rather than a portrait (the lack of facial prominence) and hence I can see "chickenflavoredchips's" view regarding that image. Again I'll refrain from making specific comments and instead I'll suggest taking a look at the following recent threads - they contain similar themes for outdoor portraiture that could be carried over without my need to repeat (or upset).

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8342
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8337
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8096

There's also a brief guide to controlling light outdoors on my blog - the link is below.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/