Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking for some help.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 am 
I love this photo but the more I look at it I feel like its missing something. I think that it is composed well.

Don't be afraid to tell me your honest opinion I am looking for some constructive criticism.

ISO 100
200 mm
f/ 5.6
1/640
After posting it I see that the background in the photo matches the background in the forum so here is the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29353296@N02/2790298339/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 am 
girl:I saw, I come and I conquer :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:22 am 
just take the pix wrote:
I love this photo but the more I look at it I feel like its missing something. I think that it is composed well.

Don't be afraid to tell me your honest opinion I am looking for some constructive criticism.

It's severely lacking in the lighting department, otherwise reasonable from a technical perspective. The face needs lighting, either with on-board fill flash, or with a cross lighting strobe set up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:45 am 
Photoj wrote:
just take the pix wrote:

It's severely lacking in the lighting department, otherwise reasonable from a technical perspective. The face needs lighting, either with on-board fill flash, or with a cross lighting strobe set up.

I took you advice and add some fill light in Lr it's not as good as getting it right the first time but let me know what you think.

Last edited by just take the pix on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:50 am 
Better, but the artificial fill light doesn't alter the shadows on the face. You've also done something to the background and now it's much darker with vignetting in the bottom right corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:58 am 
Photoj wrote:
Better, but the artificial fill light doesn't alter the shadows on the face. You've also done something to the background and now it's much darker with vignetting in the bottom right corner.

I add some blacks and recovery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 am 
hmm i dont know if the problem is necessarily the face.. i think that the girl is exposed well.. maybe a little fill on the face but its the sky and background that is severely over exposed and just pure white... but of course you can do nothing about that now and the second edited photo looks great even with the sky like that.. but dont worry getting shots where the girl is perfectly exposed and you cant tell a flash was used and the sky looks beautiful along with a perfect shot like this is so hard to do and is a one in a million shot.. but you can give it a try!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:26 am 
emp93 wrote:
hmm i dont know if the problem is necessarily the face.. i think that the girl is exposed well.. maybe a little fill on the face but its the sky and background that is severely over exposed and just pure white...

There's nothing wrong with the white background. It could be in the vein of studio photography, but the composition makes this more an editorial portrait and that white background fits this genre. The principle problem is the lighting.

Last edited by Photoj on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:28 am 
emp93 wrote:
hmm i dont know if the problem is necessarily the face.. i think that the girl is exposed well.. maybe a little fill on the face but its the sky and background that is severely over exposed and just pure white... but of course you can do nothing about that now and the second edited photo looks great even with the sky like that.. but dont worry getting shots where the girl is perfectly exposed and you cant tell a flash was used and the sky looks beautiful along with a perfect shot like this is so hard to do and is a one in a million shot.. but you can give it a try!!

It was overcast out that day so there is no detail in the sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 am 
Photoj wrote:
emp93 wrote:
hmm i dont know if the problem is necessarily the face.. i think that the girl is exposed well.. maybe a little fill on the face but its the sky and background that is severely over exposed and just pure white...

There's nothing wrong with the white background. It could be in the vein of studio photography, but the composition makes this more an editorial portrait and that white background fits this genre. The principle problem is the lighting.

I suppose.. i wont argue.. photography is all about opinions and what you think is right or wrong and there are no TRUE right or wrongs just what you think is right or wrong so really here were both right and were both wrong :D