Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 pm 
Tell me what u think guys. I just started out so help me out. thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 pm 
She is not looking very happy. That's something you should change for your next session :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:14 am 
technically, no 2 the sky is washed out, it is possible that the object is backlit
to handle this, you need to set exposure compensation down to -1 or -2
and then fill flash the object (make sure u use some kind of flash diffuser to soften it). This technique apply for no.1 as well

go to dslrtips to get a tutorial on fill flash.

I like the idea of covering some problems area (body) with trees.
Avoid sitting without covering her belly.

I guess standing and positioning the hand / gesturing will be helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:21 am 
Not bad for a start...

But I'll be honest in my opinion. I think you should continue to practice and take portraits.

Like what has already been said, there is a hint of sadness, anger, and depression that I sense from your models face.

For the first shot, there is a big distraction right behind the models head. The tree branch looking thing isn't a great thing to have. Remember to always look around your model and remember to examine every portion of the frame. Don't let any distracting elements harm your images composition. The branch as well as the steel pole kind-of take away from your composition. Also, her hair is a bit overexposed at certain areas. I would recommend that you take some sort of black cloth to take away from the natural light hitting your subject as you take the shot. Also, remember to meter the most important part of the frame.. The subject. So for instances like these, I recommend using spot or center-weighted metering modes. I would've also liked to see her sit of straight more than the "bent-neck" "slouch"...

Number 2, Okay not too bad. But there is a bit too much of unimportance. In other words, Perhaps a more close-up and tight frame around the face of your subject, with the background. Just try different poses. Her face is at a somewhat 2/3 pose. Not bad, but perhaps a bit more of her left eye. See her nose? The tip of her nose should not exceed nor lie on the cheek line. It should be just before the cheek line... Either that, or a profile view of only one side of her face. Also, it might have looked a little better if her left hand was not cut by the tree, and then seen again on the other side. Maybe it would have been better if her left hand had a different pose, lying on the tree.

Number 3, Her left eye is cut off except for a tiny bit which I don't really think is very nice. In general, the pose and composition isn't exactly... "good". It's just a bit too distracting. The tree takes away from your models face. A possible shot would've been something like your model being framed by the two tree branches... In the center. It also doesn't seem like she is exactly in focus. Looks like you focused on the tree. I see what you were trying to do, but I think it would've been better using a smaller aperture, and focusing on your model.

All in all, just keep practicing and keep trying new poses, angles, and perspectives. The fact that you are doing this is great. Just keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:16 am 
thx for the comments and the advice....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 am 
I would've like a bit shallower depth of field in the shots, to isolate the subject. May not be possible with your current setup however. What did you use? It helps to open up the aperture, and zoom in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:12 am 
I have to agree with what's already been said. Sdrummer really summed it up quite well, as did the others. Nothing else I can add.
I am curious what equipment you are using though. Care to share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 pm 
You might want to make a crop of the first one centering around her face. That way you loose the overexposed sky and capture the sun in her hair. The skin color of her face looks better compared to the other 2 pictures.

The colors on the third picture somehow feel wrong to me. Her face seems a bit too red for my taste, especially in combination with those really ugly trees.

You might want to try less saturation or even turn it into... what's the english term for black and white photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:44 am 
PrinzMegahertz wrote:

You might want to try less saturation or even turn it into... what's the english term for black and white photography?

Are you referring to a duotone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 am 
Sdrummer wrote:
PrinzMegahertz wrote:

Are you referring to a duotone?

Grayscale is what I was actually looking for. Here in Germany we call such types of photo blackwhite photography, so I was rather confused on how to translate that one into english.