Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:22 pm 
A couple of candid shots of my granddaughter.

Grannie would you like a game of football.

Is that my mums car I hear

cheers Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:29 pm 
Marion,

I think it'd be better if she was smiling in the first shot. Angels usually have sweet smiles. Although I don't have much experience in portraiture, I think the fill flash should have been used in this situation.

The second shot, I think you have focused on the fence behind so her face and more noticeably her right arm are out of focus.

I hope you can bring us some better shots of your angel.

Best Regards,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm 
Thanks for the comments Tony, I have much to learn.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm 
Really nice pictures! I think that the flash would've been
better on the second one but I think the first is great to!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:32 pm 
Adorable. Can I point you towards my latest blog entry on outdoor portraiture?

The first image has a little green cast from the grass and although you've been advised to use fill flash, I'd go against that and prefer the natural light you have. What may have been an improvement would be a reflector camera left to lift some shadows on the face. But with children, it's hard to set up this as they keep moving. Overall a solid picture that might have benefitted with an even lower viewpoint.

The second image is a lovely candid except the face isn't in focus. The AF was fooled by the fence, and this is a common problem. This could be overcome by either using a focus and recompose technique with the AF Lock or by using MF. A little fill flash here would have given a little more dynamism.

I hope there's some tips in there for you. Thank you for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:21 pm 
Oops, thanks for the feedback. Disappeared for a few weeks.

Patti the baby in the picture is indeed the now "angel in my garden"

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 am 

I was wondering when the angel would alight and make her appearance.
Gorgeous baby... I am so envious!! I took some photos of B.'s little one today, we went out in search of the Boufant Sisters, from the Quackage Underground...think I got some good shots, but not as nice as these two..so, I am going to head over to photojs tips page, and see what he has to say.

I love both of these...the football player, with wings, none the less...whooohoooooooooooo...just wonderful...I love the sneaking up on the fence shot, as well...how do you like your camera, now that you have been using it so much?

patti