Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: My first Wedding
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
Hey everyone, I just got the photos back from Linda from my first wedding a few weeks ago. Let me know what you think.

The Dress
Image

Father of the Bride
Image

The bride and groom
Image

The Bride
Image

Emotional Moments
Image

The Rings Exchange
Image

The Groom
Image

The Dress
Image

Little Flower Girl
Image

and theres a few more on my flickr! (1st wedding set on Flickr


DD

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:03 am
Posts: 1898
Location: Southern California
whooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

beautiful work..ya did it, it is spectacular.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

am so pleased for you, and hope that you are so proud of your work, too...


patti

_________________
canon 7D, Mark iii 5D, ef 70-300 f/4-5.6, ef 28-135mm canon 100-400mm L IS 4.5, and a little 24-70 L f/2.8...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:25 am 
Nice shots! :)

My first wedding was awful, low light, manual flash, first time with a dslr, a horrible set of events :?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 am 
Really nice shots...

How was it? How did you feel? Did you have any help with flashes and stuff?

Congrats on your set

Cheers


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:31 am 
Nice shots DD! The angle on the second one is great.

Just wondering why the shots are grainy at a low ISO. Curves or levels adjustment?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:30 am 
oops double post. :oops:


Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 am 
grainy?? I can;t see grain on the shots on this page..

Good starting point DD, lighting is a bit so so IMHO on;
the bride (the shot that was taken from above)
the dress (the shot of the bride and groom going out onto the field)

but other than that, good start.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
Well Linda's computer doesn't have enough *umph* to edit RAW files quickly so she said just shoot in JPG for me until I get a new computer.

With JPG, the editing "Destorys" pixels, RAW Editing is non-destructive. So any editing done with JPG degrades quality and can induce or amplify noise.

Didn't really get any help at all, her insturctions were; "Go and take some happy snaps and we'll see how you do"

So thats what I did ^_^



patti - Thanks a lot =)

AudioXcel - Ah thankfully E-TTL and a DSLR I knew inside out :)

Camut - I was pretty excited! Well actually I helped her husband with his Metz flash on the Canon 10D, he wondered why he was getting black streaks across the image, i todl him to make sure his shutter speed was below 250 or 200th because that would be the flash sync speed - worked perfectly after that 8)

Grahamnp - Yeah all the editing in lightroom with a JPG image, thats one of th main reasons I shoot in RAW for myself.

Gregory - Lighting was mostly out of my control. The rooms had high celings e.g. in the Bride and Groom one inside looking up at me, the roof was HIGH, so flash did almost nothing. As for the dress, I dunno I really liked that one, infact its my favourite. Whats wrong with the lighting on that one, not saying your wrong I just want to get a better understanding.


Thanks everyone so far

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:49 pm 
DD_nVidia wrote:

Gregory - Lighting was mostly out of my control. The rooms had high celings e.g. in the Bride and Groom one inside looking up at me, the roof was HIGH, so flash did almost nothing. As for the dress, I dunno I really liked that one, infact its my favourite. Whats wrong with the lighting on that one, not saying your wrong I just want to get a better understanding.




You;ve got the same title for two of the shots you listed, I meant the shot thats second from the bottom at the bottom of the page. The composition is fine, but as far as the tone of the shot goes, it looks like it was taken without flash, and I guess I just think it needs some sort of added lighting. :? If it was taken a bit earlier in the day maybe. If it had the levels of light that are in the shot of the groom with the football i mean.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:17 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
DD_nVidia wrote:

Gregory - Lighting was mostly out of my control. The rooms had high celings e.g. in the Bride and Groom one inside looking up at me, the roof was HIGH, so flash did almost nothing. As for the dress, I dunno I really liked that one, infact its my favourite. Whats wrong with the lighting on that one, not saying your wrong I just want to get a better understanding.




You;ve got the same title for two of the shots you listed, I meant the shot thats second from the bottom at the bottom of the page. The composition is fine, but as far as the tone of the shot goes, it looks like it was taken without flash, and I guess I just think it needs some sort of added lighting. :? If it was taken a bit earlier in the day maybe. If it had the levels of light that are in the shot of the groom with the football i mean.



Greg:


I've been trying to study several wedding photo trends for the last few months. There are levels and levels of wedding photo styles and within those levels there are different kinds of technical aspects to consider.
You can find those photos with tons of pre production, using studio strobes, locations, make up artists and all that stuff.

Then within all those levels, you can find this photo journalist style that takes advantage of the enviroment and tries to show the most without altering the natural image too much, taking advantage of the natural light as much as possible. Just like a reporter would do to cover the news.

I think that this is what Daniel tried to do succesfully (from my point of view) because all his photos accomplish the goal of showing the emotion of the moment.

I invite you all to check on the article series Top Ten Wedding Photographers. There you will see what I'm taking about. There are very simple photos without much lighting equipment and those are very nice.

I don't know if there's a thread about weddings, but this is a very rich topic worth of discussion.

Cheers


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 pm 
Camut wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
DD_nVidia wrote:

Gregory - Lighting was mostly out of my control. The rooms had high celings e.g. in the Bride and Groom one inside looking up at me, the roof was HIGH, so flash did almost nothing. As for the dress, I dunno I really liked that one, infact its my favourite. Whats wrong with the lighting on that one, not saying your wrong I just want to get a better understanding.




You;ve got the same title for two of the shots you listed, I meant the shot thats second from the bottom at the bottom of the page. The composition is fine, but as far as the tone of the shot goes, it looks like it was taken without flash, and I guess I just think it needs some sort of added lighting. :? If it was taken a bit earlier in the day maybe. If it had the levels of light that are in the shot of the groom with the football i mean.



Greg:




Then within all those levels, you can find this photo journalist style that takes advantage of the enviroment and tries to show the most without altering the natural image too much, taking advantage of the natural light as much as possible. Just like a reporter would do to cover the news.

I think that this is what Daniel tried to do succesfully (from my point of view) because all his photos accomplish the goal of showing the emotion of the moment.

I invite you all to check on the article series Top Ten Wedding Photographers. There you will see what I'm taking about. There are very simple photos without much lighting equipment and those are very nice.

I don't know if there's a thread about weddings, but this is a very rich topic worth of discussion.

Cheers


I can understand using available light, and I was merely stating an opinion.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:02 pm 
I have to say I am so impressed with them shots, I am glad its the same camera i have!!! Just better glass..I mean this when I say I have seen worse so called pro's shots then this.

I would be chuffed if I shot them I hope you sister is very happy and I hope they are very happy together.

And may all their ups and downs be in the "BEDROOM"......hehe :wink:

Very well done


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
She aint my sister haha

its an actual job, not something im doing for family.

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:05 am 
DD_nVidia wrote:
Well Linda's computer doesn't have enough *umph* to edit RAW files quickly so she said just shoot in JPG for me until I get a new computer.


I don't understand what you are saying here. I am curious why you wouldnt edit the photos on your computer. Am I misunderstanding?
Did you shoot in both Raw & jpeg? I mean, I can understand them wanting the pics as soon as possible but I dont understand....eh I am just confused.

I am not an expert by far so this is just my opinion of course. If I was going to shoot a wedding of all things, I would shoot in RAW and if they wanted photos to look over fast, I would shoot both formats. I would think that someone would want the highest quality of their wedding photos. Hand them a CD of the jpegs and take the RAW files and edit them at home. Is this what you are doing?

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not saying you did anything wrong. I think the photos came out pretty good for your first wedding.
My favorite is the Dress (second to last) . I love the composition. It could use some level and curves adjustment. The only one I don't like is Father of the bride.
I can see the grain in that one.

Overall, I say, great job DD.
I am just a little confused about what I stated above. lol


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:28 pm
Posts: 1065
Location: Syracuse, NY
Mstone:

DD shot in Jpeg because his boss's computer (which they use to edit the photos, its like the studio computer) can't handle the raw. And I agree raw+jpeg is what almost all wedding photographers do, so right after the wedding they can burn the jpegs to a CD on the nice 17inch macbook pro (example) and hand the CD to the bride and groom, they might not even use large jpeg, more like medium or something.

Hope that clears it up. (I know, i'm not DD, but I am gaining favor points here, and hes already explained it to me, so)

Jake

_________________
Jake O'Connell, 40D Crew
Canon EOS 40D | 28-135mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 |Vivitar DF 383 | Vivitar 285hv
My Flickr
my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group