Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: WOW first job!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 am 
So I work for a bank that just had a grand opening party last night. We were entertaining lots of important people. I'm an employee so I showed up expecting to converse with and suck up to important executives all night. When to my surprise my boss (who owns an XTi/400d) handed me her camera and expected me to document the night. I was so excited. It wasn't a formal job so there wasn't any pressure. She just handed me her XTi, 70-300 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, and 17-40 f/4L lens and let me indulge myself.

IT WAS SOOO MUCH FUN!!! I love taking pictures of people and being right there to capture all the laughs. I've played around with different DSLRs many times in the store so I felt like i knew my way around the camera pretty well but this was my first time actually holding the camera for a couple hours and just shooting away. I loved it. I hope i can do this kind of thing again and again... now i just have to get my own camera.

She let me download some of my best shots... and i really only wanted them incase I made a portfolio and to share with all of you!! I didn't get any of the shot information but I know that I was at 1600 ISO all night and pretty much at the widest aperature possible.

The subjects are obviously meaningless to you but I'd love any comments or criticisms. I basically just wanted to show off some pictures cuz i finally have some of my own!!!

Beside slightly adding contrast and lightening of the very first shot everything else is untouched and uncropped.

1. The Harpest

2. Goofin around with the macro

3. Don't know who this is but I thought it was a great shot...and I think he's an "important person."

4. My favorite guest

5. Just a good shot i thought

6. Had no clue what was going on... just liked the food.

7. She's important. She's smiling. That's rare. So rare that this shot should be worth money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:38 am 

whoohoo...I love your favorite guest! great series, you should be so proud , not a one of em looking un-natural, or artificial..but all of your subjects looking really like you were just a part of the party, comfortable, and welcome..and the fun is captured, and that is something special...

I always like to see the kids, goofing off, and just being kids...some great portraiture here...thinking you did a great job...congratulations...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:47 am 

Really nice. I wish my first XTi photos turned out this nice.

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:41 am 
thanks guys! ya i was pretty pumped. Question...I didn't change any of the settings hardly throughout the night but for some reason the last shot looks more orange than the others... is there any reason for that? Does the camera automatically do that with some sort of "color metering" that I dont know about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 am 
Hi JB,

some really nice shots there and congratz on your first photo-job!! Well done :-)

As for the orangey cast (not really bad in my opinion) it's probrably the white-balance. Indoors with mixed light-sources: tungsten lights, perhaps some overhead neon and some daylight, it's hard for most cameras to get it 100% correct every time.

If you shoot in RAW you can manually adjust the WB quite finely in post-processing and adjust how the produced JPEG looks for better skin-colors.

If you keep it up like this, you might become the resident staff photographer for office functions in the future. Who knows - you might be able to make a case for another lens or flash or something to supplment your equipment for these functions...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:58 pm 
Mmmm how exciting! Nice shots!

I like the harp player one the most; nice depth of field and layering with the balloons.. but probably mainly because she's beautiful :)

That important guy one came up great too eh, nice genuine smile.

You haven't colour corrected these? If not they've come out fantastic, keep it up!

Man I'm looking forward to getting my new toy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 pm 
nice shots .. i like them and i like the dof .. well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:46 pm 
its a bit rude turning up to a party and then being expected to work and be the photographer all night isnt it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 pm 
oh i would have been bored out of my mind if i hadn't been asked to take pictures. I'm not the fancy, wine and dine, yak-it-up with rich people, kinda guy. I'd much rather take pictures. If only i coulda got paid, that woulda been even better. Oh well...finally got some pictures of my own that I can be proud of and maybe use for a portfolio in the future.