Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 pm 
Hi,

I did my first photoshoot last week with a good friend of mine, she was willing to help me and it was a nice trip out. I've found that i'm not very good with directions, so I generally told her to stand and look natural. I think it turned out nice! The first photo was in the May Assignment, so some of you may recognise it. All straight out of the camera with a few adjustments to levels and the usual resize+sharpen for the web.

Here's the shots:

Kind Regards,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:57 pm 

Jack, Jack, Jack! I really love every last one of these man!

I really like the last one a lot, love the colors, but in number 3, your model there looks a little stoned. But I do love the colors.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm 
Jack,

Thanks for sharing your images with us. Let me give you a precis of what I found.

Image 1: It's definitely thoughtfully composed, and the exposure is perfect. What I'd query is why a central framing (I'd have gone with a third line), and the relevance of the sign to the subject.

Image 2: The warm white balance works, whether it be intentional or not. It's another central framed image, which doesn't work here. The pose is also seemingly unnatural to my eye. For these reasons, I'm not sure what to recommend on this one.

Image 3: Much better than image 2. The pose still feels a little forced (i.e. static) to my eyes. There are some good textures around her to keep interest. For a more dynamic image I'd have instructed her to look over her right shoulder.

Image 4: Composition, exposure and camera control are good. The best of all your images here. However the pose is still static. I would have asked her to place her hands in her pocket and then with feet pointing away from the camera, I'd have her turn her torso obliquely to the camera so that her face in in the image; this again adds dynamism.

Image 5: Interesting, and good use of third lines. The only other comment I can make are there being too many focal points - the dandelion, the lip stud and the nostril. My eye doesn't fixate on one spot. DoF would be something to explore.

Hopefully there's something within there that you can take away.

Very briefly as you tell us you're "not very good with directions". Direction is one very important skill to have with portrait and people photography. That or having a good model who knows what to do. To pick up a little in the way of understanding directions, let yourself be photographed. The experience of being on the other side of the camera will make you appreciate the modelling aspect more, and make it easier as a photographer to know what to demand.

All the very best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 am 
Well, in my opinion, portraits are all about the eyes. Try a couple of shots with this approach and see how that works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Photoj - thanks a lot for your comments, it will help a lot. Just a quick response to what you said about the first picture, the angle doesn't help but where the grass ends is about a 30 foot drop down onto the beach. I used a center line to make it look symmetrical, I just thought it looked better on site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 pm 
Just a comment on the first one, give it a square crop and it will look alot better. Square crops work better with objects in the center. Try that out and post the results here.

I will comment this as well later on in a hurry right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:28 pm 
I like them,
just a stupid suggestion, in you first shot, in stead of standing on the groudn why didn't you put/lift her on top of the sign... nevermind :)

I don't like the frontal shot when she is sitting on the rocks... maybe if you blurred out the background ( aperture really small - or photoshop ), and me personally, I don't mind the subject looking directly in the lens.

Great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:55 pm 
Palieter wrote:
...maybe if you blurred out the background ( aperture really small - or photoshop )

Rookie errors here. Small f stop/number = large aperture or fully blown aperture = short DoF. A small aperture = large f stop/number

Photoshop for blurring...not that I have anything against PP, but that's not advice I'd like to hand out. DoF is something that ought to be captured in camera. The aperture suggestion was good though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Palieter wrote:
...maybe if you blurred out the background ( aperture really small - or photoshop )

Rookie errors here. Small f stop/number = large aperture or fully blown aperture = short DoF. A small aperture = large f stop/number

Photoshop for blurring...not that I have anything against PP, but that's not advice I'd like to hand out. DoF is something that ought to be captured in camera. The aperture suggestion was good though.

Possibly he wasn't sure on the right words for the Aperture? Its sometimes confusing to people who don't speak native english to maybe say that when a number gets smaller the actual aperture gets bigger.

Or, rookie mistake. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:32 pm 
I'm confused on how you would lift her up onto that sign. It's not exactly a short sign and doesn't look like it would be terribly comfortable to sit on.

I personally like 1 and 5 the most. Although, I would have been tempted to crop out the nostril in #5. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 am 
First of all: I'm not a rook, I'm more a novice

Aperture: I don't think I used the wrong words, I think you misunderstood there... so to make sure i.e. f/2 means the iris opening is bigger than in f/4! OK?

And second of all, I didn't say it was gonna be easy fitting the girl on top of the sign :):):) Why would you want it to be easy anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 am 
Palieter wrote:
First of all: I'm not a rook, I'm more a novice

Aperture: I don't think I used the wrong words, I think you misunderstood there... so to make sure i.e. f/2 means the iris opening is bigger than in f/4! OK?

And second of all, I didn't say it was gonna be easy fitting the girl on top of the sign :):):) Why would you want it to be easy anyway

Yeah you are right saying that the iris is wider on F/2 than F/4, but in the original post you said make it smaller. We assumed you meant make the iris smaller, not the number. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 pm 
Palieter wrote:

f/2 is indeed larger than f/4, but I'm afraid you did use the wrong words to describe aperture, and that's where confusion's occurred. Wrong aperture terminology use is an error in many beginner and enthusiast photographers that I've come across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 am 
beautiful shots...

...however you need to work on giving your model some instructions..

given the right instruction your photos could be more powerful and your model could look much better..

certain shots don't really do her justice...

like in shot number 3...

u could've had her hide that lil muffin top away and fix her shoulders...

i'm new at this also so if i'm giving the wrong advice pls correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:25 pm 
Agree. model needs serious direction / pose

Where is the eyes? Portrait is about eyes :D focus on the eyes :)

The things that work is color and exposure.