Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 am 
Morning all,

After lots of deliberation and soul-searching with my boyfriend, I decided to purchase a Canon Powershot G9 over the Canon 40D last month. The reasoning behind this was the cost aspect of the additional equipment needed for the 40D and the compact feature of the Powershot. I basically just want a nice and compact camera which I can chuck in my bag and take out and about with us, mostly to take photos of our kids and the dog. Going down this route, I therefore understand that I'm not always going to get the most amazing shots possible, but I think I can get some really nice ones and once I get to grips with the camera, I'll go out and get the wide and macro lenses so I can have that additonally functionality.

Anyway, that was about me and my camera so now onto my problems..as I've mentoned, I really wanted this camera so that I can take great shots of my kids and I think I'm getting there but I'm finding it really hard to grasp the basics of exposure, shutter speed, lighting etc. I've taken some shots (well, hundreds actually!) and have posted some below and would welcome ALL criticism!

My major problem is taking good shots inside - my daughter isn't so bad because she's ten and would pose for England so I can get her to stay still and take lots of shots in different settings but my son is only two and has started to run away from me and so "No,Mummy!" when I get the camera out! hehe...I think he's a bit bored of it all already, so I need to be really quick with him which is proving very difficult (as is trying to do anything with a two-year-old...)

I can take some decent shots outside and have decided that the best way of doing this is to set the camera on the "Kids and Pets" program, whack it on Multi Burst AutoFocus, turn off the LCD and just snap away using the viewfinder. However, I then get maybe one or two half decent shots per hundred. Is that the right way of doing it or is there a better way?

My ultimate aim is to be able to take lovely shots in a studio setting but I don't have a studio so is it best just to take inside shots in a really light room and then remove the background via PS if I need to? Or shall I try and find a studio somewhere? (Not sure where though?) When the kids are in the right mood, they'll mess around and pose for the camera and I can get a few decent shots which I'm ok with but when I look on them on the PC they're not as good as I thought so I'd like them to be much better first off...

Ok, so here are my kids - please be brutal! (about the photos, not my kids :shock:):-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:09 pm 
Hello!

I think you've got some lovely kids!

Now, about the problems with lightning, it's a good thing your G9 has an external flash hot shoe.. I'd highy recommend getting an external flash such as the Speedlite 430EX which you can "bounce" off the ceiling giving it MUCH better lightning. Surely, I would take away some of the "compact-ness" but if you only use it inside the house it should'nt be that much a problem.

On the second-to-last image I think fill-flash would have worked wonders (simply activate the flash to lighten up the shadows on his face.).

Hope I helped.