Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My first attempts
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:46 pm 
Here's a surprise picture I took today while on the way to photograph some waterfalls.
On the way I noticed an abandoned railway line. On closer inspection, we found the bridge was quite a good spot for some model-esque photography.

Anyway, here's the result. Creative criticism welcomed (we all need to start somewhere!).

Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: Nikkor 18-135mm at 38mm
Shutter speed: 1/30
Aperture: 4.5
Post processing: reduced some saturation, boosted warmth and boosted shadows slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 pm 
Your of to a good start, i actually quite like a graffiti as a background for portraits, give it some what an attitude.

Its seems to me as if you cant hold the camera still at 1/30 because the image is out of focus/blurry! Which is a shame, the image needs a crop there is too much "surroundings" so to speak.

The lightning is good, what you could have done here was bump up your ISO a bit and it would have help you get a really nice shot!

good start :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 pm 
Thanks a lot Alex!

I realized when I uploaded the pictures to my computer about the slight shake problem (the D80 screen is atrociously misleading!).

The lighting was all natural and it amazed me actually at how good it was!

The ISO was 100, which admittedly I seldom change, but I was intentionally looking for a darker image in this pictures, so I didn't feel a need to change it. I'll bare it in mind though in future =).

As far as cropping is concerned, I really should have cropped it now I think. But thats a quick fix obviously.

Thanks for all the help Alex =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 pm 
No problem mate,

Well i find myself changing the ISO form 100 to 200 alot :P

400 seems very sketchy to me, but indoors i would think about it!

Well it could be that your monitor isnt calibrated:

Read this that might help you with the monitor problem...

Well i "zoom" in all the time on my shots and i always take a few if i m liking the subject to just in case, and sometimes that has saved me alot!

Lightning a la naturale is the best