Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: another selfportrait
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 pm 
Hey i was kind of bored this afternoon, and started to take picture so of myself as i had no one around, to take photos of.

I took this portrait, and i seriously i m loving it, it really tells a story about whom i'm. I m a big guy in a small world (the small chair) and i just love the perspective of me sitting on top of that smaller chair. What do you guys think?

I m thinking of framing this and giving to both my parents my brother and my grandparents...would that be a good idea?

EDIT: i decided to go for a very or what looks at least to me like a very nice high key portrait

smaller version

P.S. i m considering cloning out that hair that is hitting my face on the left hand side of my face...but i m not sure if i can be bothered, this photos is straight out from the camera, just a lill crop

Last edited by alex168 on Wed May 07, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:33 pm 

They will be thrilled...choose a hard edgy black/chrome/ frame..good job, Alex....

You should start a series of you...each year, sit on that same precarious perch...and take your picture...see the changes...what fun, that will be for them..and you..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:42 pm 
I havent change alot in the past few years, apart from the hair growing out and getting cut and then growing back out!

I m thinking of doing some work here, just to make the "flash" a bit less harsh and make the image a bit warmer dont really have time today, got this crazy early meeting tomorrow :(

that sounds like a good idea patty, from now on a day in May i will do that :) and then i will have a series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:43 pm 
Looks great, what did you use for the white background?

You do not look very sweedish, I thought they all had blue eyes and blonde hair! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:50 pm 
Get a good cool lamp or bouncer to fill your background, watch your right sleeve, is cropped.

I like this one a lot more. I love high key.

Paste more!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 pm 
Nice to see you supporting one of the greatest rock bands in the whole wide world... Led Zep takes me back to my young, carefree and couldn't give a monkeys days..... ah well back to being old again :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 am 
I like the idea of a series! :) Watch the shadows though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm 
Well i dont have a difuser so teh shadows will come no matter what!

Just a few clicks away with my masking software and the shadows are gone, just looks so unreal with the shadows not there!

I m going to play around with this for a while now, any tips?

yeah, a series sounds really cool, or maybe i should make it every 6 or 4th month, i m soo inpatient :P

I'm a big Led Ze fan, and amongs other 60's rock bands! wish i was born in the 50's sometimes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am 
alex168 wrote:
just looks so unreal with the shadows not there!

I know what you mean there. Sometimes the "perfect" look isn't the best one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:11 am 
Graham, i m sitting right now with this image open on PS and i cannot figure out what to do, apart from the very high key...

any one have any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:12 am 
Blueorb wrote:
Looks great, what did you use for the white background?

You do not look very sweedish, I thought they all had blue eyes and blonde hair! :)

Background is just a white wall :) that i have in one of the rooms!

I was born in Brazil Blueorb, thats why i dont look Swedish, but my dad is Swedish....Not all swedes are blond with blue eyes haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 am 
How about super-low key? Like what you did with your other self-portrait(not the colourful one, obviously). :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:01 am 
grahamnp wrote:
How about super-low key? Like what you did with your other self-portrait(not the colourful one, obviously). :D

i could give that a go :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:08 pm 
I haven't been on the forum for a long while.

You've another solid self-portrait. As has been mentioned, you've got the shadow behind you. Two reasons why this is happening - you're firing a direct flash and you're too close to the background. Position yourself a little further from the wall (let's say about 40cm).

Beyond other forms of external lighting, positioning yourself further from the wall might be a simple option. Ideally you'd be looking for off-camera lighting here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:24 pm 
Hey Alex... long time...

nice photo...

You need to work on those biceps tho, or buy a slimfit t-shirt ;-D

Then i will come and take a picture of you climbing the turning torso :)