Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wedding Assistant
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:33 pm 
Well, after months of waiting for a oportunity to show the world my abilities, i finally got it!

2 days ago a photographer (friend of my sister) called me and said he needed an photographer to assist him in a wedding, and ask: are you interested? YES!!! :D :D

The reason because he needed an assistant to take the shots is that he will be recording the video, so he wants me to take the pictures.

He showed me the camera yesterday, and we gave a little tour around it. He also ask me some questions abour my framing and he ask me to take a few shots to judge my work, i also give him a couple of my better shots.

The event will start in about 2 hours, wish me luck! :D

PD: ill try to post here some of the pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:38 pm 
Nice!!!!! :P Good luck!!!! 8)

What camera is it by the way??

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 pm 

Indeed, good luck. It'd be fun for us if you have time after the event to do a little write up about your experiences and, of course, the camera you used.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:08 pm 
I really fear for you. For most photographers, shooting anything with unfamiliar equipment under pressure is hardly enjoyable.

Of course, who am I to say, and I do wish you well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 am 

I can only hope you are using the same brand of DSLR!

I got a shot of a Canon1Ds MkII and i felt quite home with it. But i've used a Nikon D70, D80 and D200 all 3 felt very strange to me lol!

Have fun get interesting shots rapid fire helps for acrion shots back up memory cards take candids interact with the people so shots are more natural.

Cba with commas lol, typing on my iPod touch.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 pm 
After all it went out well :D , the bride arrive like 10 mins early, but luckly me and the photographer too 8) so we can take pretty good shots of the bride coming out of the car, a BMW (3 series i think).

The light was very good, and the sun helped me a lot in that part.

The problem started when she entered the church, i activate the flash cuz the licht wasnt that good, but i didnt noticed that the frickin flash doesnt work with ttl (the camera was a canon xt, and the flash a Minolta 220x), so the first 3 shots inside the church where overexposed, i fix this in the next shots but it was anoying that the exposure level meter was useless.

Anyway the thing inside the church was going pretty well, we where there for about 1 hour.

Outside of the church i take about 40 portraits with friends and family, thisi was extremely because the light was the same in all of the shots (almost all) and i didnt have to change the settings that fast.

About a half hour later we pack our stuff (whe where also taking video so whe carry 2 cameras and a big halogen ald hot halogen light) and make our way to the party, there where almost no people inside so we just install the equipment and go outside to wait for the guys to come in, at tha time it was about 7:40, and they where supposed to come in at 8:00.

We wait and wait, and exactly at 9:00 they arrive, the momment she comes out of the car was one of the most important moments of the night so i take a couple shots at a red car that was almost at the same distance, she comes out, i take the shot and.... sh*t, it comes out overexposed, ive made my test shot at a red car, but the bride car was gray, so all the light
rebound at the camera, well... not everything can go perfect.

The rest was a bit more easy, just portraits and some dance.

In conclusion: I really love this thing, it was my first one and not my last one, but the equipment he gave me was really frustrating, the XT was kinda hard to hold after 4 hours but i can handle that, the hing i just hated is the flash, the cheapest canon flash i could find is 250 so why he doesnt buy one?

Ill ask him so show me the pics i take so i can show them to you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 pm 

Hi AudioXceL,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds as though it went pretty well with no irrecoverable mistakes. I hope you can get permission to share a few of the photographs with us. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:16 pm 
Glad to hear most of it went well. You've demonstrated that the old adage of "know thy equipment" rings true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:39 am 
haha, yeah. on friday he showed me the flash, but he didnt mount it on the camera, and as i know he lives from taking pictures i thought it was a canon ttl flash, but heck, it wasnt :?

he said he will need me for another event in a month :)

ill see if a can contact him to see the photos i take, and of course chare it with you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 am 
That's good. Just make sure you get yourself a fair deal and are either reimbursed adequately or have good supervision while working for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 pm 

Well if you were shooting on RAW then most under or over exposed shots should be recoverable. Fully manual flash is pretty tricky since a lot of them only have one mode; full power , or if your lucky you'll get half power too! This means you cant use really wide open apertures since you cant take the power down to say 1/16th and use f/4 at 1/250th at ISO 100/200.

Anyway hopefully you can show us some of the photos at some point :D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 am 
He advised me to shoot in JPEG, cuz to this kind of photos he doesnt make to much editing.

This flash was extremly powerfull (and annoying), but luckily does have the half power option, but even with that i have to keep the aperture at 13-15 so the picture looks ok, i would have prefered to use the onboard flash, is less powerful but it works with the camera.

He was looking on me at every second, saying me what to do and checking my last pictures so i dont screw anything, ive learned a lot, but still, he pays me :D , is equivalent to 50 usd, not much, but its something.

Ill see him tomorrow to arrange another event this saturday, ill ask him to show me the pictures and ill show them to you.

Thanks to all of you!