Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HOW TO TALK TO STRANGERS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:38 pm 

Hi all:

I know there are some of you very interested in portrait.

I spend some time reading, some things are interesting and some not, but I found this article in the realm of the very interesting kingdom.

It includes a release form, no waste.

Please check HOW TO TALK TO STRANGERS

Cheers

Carlos - Caracas Venezuela
EOS 40D
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD/50mm f1.8II

my flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm 

I don't have trouble talkin' to strangers, never have, and I don't know why that is. Maybe I have a friendly face, but I can usually find something in common, and the photograph I am after becomes secondary to the converstation..but the article is right on the money, most people don't mind helping a student of photography, and we are all students, secretly I think many times, folks are thrilled that someone with an impressive looking camera thougt they were cool enough to take photos of. The real deal, is that you become really good at body language, and when you are at ease, so are they..you know who likes to be photogaphed? Bikers. Harley guys, with their leather, tatoos, and chrome..go to a Biker rally, and you won't even believe it, they will ask YOU to take a photo, so they can have a copy..it is great stuff.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 pm 

Great read! I love [these type of articles. I m working on this project called "100 Strangers" and i am walking about in Malmö and in other places and talking to people get them going a bit, and then i bring in and talk a little about what i m doing! So far i have 7 pictures, not really good ones but I am just starting. Learning as I go along

Its harder for me to approach older people (mid 40-60) for some reason, but the ones younger then that don't seem to have a problem with me. I think i can put of some people because i have unusually long hair for a guy, and some might directly think "delinquent'" or something along those lines, and if they do think that, i m not even going to be bothered to talk to them!

Here is a good read as well, might be interesting and helpful for those interested in with Uraban Portraiture, i love this kind of stuff.

I talk to strangers at a my job on daily basis and that helped me so much when it comes to approach strangers, that is how i met my current girl friend :)

Thanks for sharing the link Cam

P.S patti where you been about these days?

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:43 pm 

I have a friend who's also doing a "100 Strangers" project too. I don't have much of an issue approaching people for photographs - for street portraiture, I refuse to make a commercial sale from it; I find it more enjoyable to meet people without an agenda, have conversation and hopefully brighten each other's day.

In a way the article can be useful, but I find it wholly disheartening that such tactics as folding a release form to cover certain parts of it to get an image for stock photography. I wouldn't like to encourage that sort of behaviour.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 pm 

Photoj wrote:
In a way the article can be useful, but I find it wholly disheartening that such tactics as folding a release form to cover certain parts of it to get an image for stock photography. I wouldn't like to encourage that sort of behaviour.

Yeap, you're right about the tactics. However, I'm more interested in the way he approaches people. I don't have problems talking to people, but I really suck at first contact. The other really useful thing is the use of the release.

For those of us wanting to go pro some time in the future, is a safe and mandatory practice. The other tips are also useful. Now is my spounge time and that's why I read it all :D

Quote:
Its harder for me to approach older people (mid 40-60) for some reason

For me is the opposite, I have a weird magnet for older people... I always end talking about the bible... :oops: :lol:

Well, I'll go back to bed now...

Cheers :)

Carlos - Caracas Venezuela
EOS 40D
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD/50mm f1.8II

my flickr