Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: photo shoot tomorrow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:24 am 

Well, I go to a VERY small school (80 kids originally like 95 but...) and I offered to shoot the student portraits and the guy incharge says well, maybe thats to big. (honestly I don't think that 80 kids is to big but) So rather than a dirt cheap photographer and really cheap prints for all the kids I get to do the staff. The company that shot us kids was extremely expensive, 14.95USD was their cheapest packages and that was a sheet of wallets and a 4X6.

Well Here is my list of what I am brining for the shoot:
Backdrop (Blue)
3 Lights
2 Light stands
2 Reflector/Diffusers.
Foil
Tripod
Extra Batteries
Business Cards
Etc.

And the camera, DUHH.

So my set up I'll shoot in RAW (figuring I can take about 140 photos) I'll be using and "Executive style portrait" set up as seen here.
I was also told I have to shoot some candids of the teachers and I talk to the teacher that organized for me to do this, and i said, well can I set them up and make them look candid, and he said no. But you know school lighting, not gunna work like that, SOO I'm gunna carry my light stand around with me and get some "candids."

Later on I also have to shoot all the sports teams outside...

And they want me to download the photos at school, so I am purposely forgetting my usb cable. I'd rather download them at home and post them in LR and PS anyway.

SO, what did I forget, any extra ideas, comments, etc.

I'll post some samples tomorrow, if i can get one of them or more to sign a release.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:35 am 
You've thought about this.

I'd go low with equipment and bring only two lights with umbrella and/or lightbox with their own stands.

One gold/white reflector (to get a little warmth if needed).

Coloured backdrop - white is too clinical for school portraiture.

Tripod a must. And a cable release. If you have a viewfinder extension, that would be a bonus.

Memory cards. As much as you can get your hands on.

Batteries and charger. When I cover events, 3 batteries are ideal. 2 in camera, and 1 to roll on and off the charger.

Ringflash. This will help immensely with the candids (though you'll be noticed once the flash goes off). Carrying a light stand is not going to get you candids.

Numerous copies of model release forms.

Lens selection. Definitely a prime for the studio portraiture, and then a fast short telephoto (e.g. 70-200 2.8) for the candids. For the team photos, a wide angle zoom would be ideal, though bear in mind ultra-wides aren't favourable because of the distortion.

Usual camera kit from here on in - two bodies, two tripod attachment plates, cleaning equipment, a flashgun or two, light meter, paper and pen/dictaphone to record image number with name of person I'm taking (a lot of amateurs fluff this one up and end up not knowing who they took; mark the image number on the release form as well), and water.

Finally, samples from my portfolio and cards.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
Just wondering what are candids? Well i recall getting my shot taken in school and it was often one of those offblue white very light blue backgrounds, is it possible for you get your hands on those?

alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm 
It's very easy for me to get a background from local rental stores; I don't do enough studio work to warrant buying one (they are quite expensive for what they are). If you want to browse for yourself, you can look up background paper/canvas on online photography stores.

Candids are images taken without the person knowing that they are being photographed. If you wish to publish/sell such images, or put them in a portfolio, do seek permission with the person(s) you've taken afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:43 pm 
Ohh allrigt, quite obvious when you think of the terminology!

I m looking forward to see the results Jake, could you also take a shot of the setup before you get started just a quick JPEG, i just want to see what your using! i gotta get my face out there. Gotta get some lenses tho...getting the prime on monday tho :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:33 pm 

Alex, I wish I did. I was on a tight deadline, due to some scheduling errors and someone placing the blame on another shoulders, happens all the time at my school.

The classroom I shot in used to be an electric classroom so on the back wall there was a frame (2X4" studs) set up like the would normally be in a house and I just clamped my backdrop to those. And I used that lighting set up that i showed. I'll post a couple samples, But otherwise I need to get some release forms, anyone have a template I could use?

Thanks,

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm 
Here's the one I use - during the paste it's become unformatted.

"Model Release Form

TO (photographer):..................................................................................................................
Address:...............................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................Phone no:...........................................................................

FROM (model):...........................................................................................................................
Address:................................................................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................
..................................................................Phone no:..........................................................................

In consideration for receiving £................. modelling fee/free prints (delete as appropriate),
in return for modelling for photographs taken by you on....................................(date),
at.........................................................................................................................(location)

USAGE: • I understand that the photographs taken of me during this session can be used wholly or in part in
magazines, books, calendars, Internet, portfolios, exhibition and for editorial or advertising use (delete any that
are not applicable).
• The photographs may be used to represent an imaginary person and any wording associated will not be
attributed to me personally unless my name is used.
• Special restriction (Use this area for any special agreements between you, the model, and the photographer)
I do not want ........................................................................................................................................................to be included.
Model: ......................................................................... Photographer:.........................................................................
(Both parties should sign here to note and agree the restriction)

I acknowledge that by signing this form, subject to restrictions stipulated and agreed, I give up all claims of ownership, income, editorial control and use of the resulting photographs, and assign all copyright ownership to the photographer and that no further payment will be due. Use of the photographs may be granted to third parties, however the photographs will remain the property of the photographer.

I have read this form carefully and fully understand its meanings and implications. I acknowledge that by signing this form I give.....................................................(photographer) full copyright and authority to publish the photographs, and my agreement with the terms listed above. I am 18 years old or over.

Signed:........................................................................................... Date:..................................................

If the model is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must also sign here:

Parent/guardian:............................................................................ Date:...............................................
Address:.........................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................Phone no:...................................................................."

How did it go overall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:10 am 

PhotoJ, thanks for the release form, I'm going to try to reformat it tonight make a couple prints. I'll get them signed tomorrow, but unfortunately, I am leaving on vacation directly after school tomorrow, so I wont be able to upload them until Sunday or Monday, I wanted them tonight but I was busy with other stuff (home work that was due today.) As for the shoot, didn't go so well, first of the guy incharge of organizing that said I could shoot the staff (not everyone because 90 people is to many ohh 90 WOW!) But once I got the teachers to come the shoot went fine, they had trouble smiling so I got my photo assistant (aka Classmate josh to say some funny stuff)

Although I was asked to bring them on a CD tomorrow, I'm not going to. A) I wasn't paid to do this, so its not alpha priorty, B) They told me yesterday I was doing this today, and then the organized it horribly, so they put ridiculous deadlines on me. I know the images are for the yearbook, and I know about the process I basically shot and edited one for 400 people last year, I edited it they week before it was due, the adviser this year at this new school with 80 kids, has no clue. So they can wait a week for the photos. And my main argument is I'm not happy with them yet, and I don't want my rep on the line. I'll be up until 12 tweaking, and Work all next week and then put them on CD's. And if this makes me sound like a bad photographer, I don't consider my school I client, I consider it a favor for a teacher that if anything has been a not great teacher. So, Thats it for now, Will post some on Monday, and Alex, I'll moch up that set up for you soon!

Jake

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 am 
Yeah I suppose thats the downside for doing something for free, people's forget that they are getting something for free, and then forget about what works for you as well. Moral of the story is dont do things for free :P lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 am 
Thats what happens to my dad, hes the "official" photographer of the school he works in, but of course.... no payment and no gear provided by the school so i just borrow him my camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:02 am 
Some one feel like sharing it as a word doc or pdf file? or is gordon in the modd of hosting that document? thanx for the form Ed! Might be good to have these ones around in the future. Even tho i did write my own in the past they where a bit messy!

I dont consider what your doing "crazy" of beeing a bad photographer, if your doing some a favour spending your time helping them out they shouldnt be giving you any deadlines..they should be greatfull for the shots. And why do they want them on CD'S is tha so they can look at them and see what they you did or? i m crazy about setup shots these days, going to be using the sun for my brother shoot

where you head for vacation, come to sweden spring has just arrivde :D haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:19 am 
alex168 wrote:
i m crazy about setup shots these days, going to be using the sun for my brother shoot

Glad to hear you're following the principle that natural light is best!

Jake, I can comprehend that the school has set unreasonable deadlines, and although it isn't a paid job, for me it's far more professional to tell them that what they've set you is not possible, and if they could wait a few more days for a better quality end-product. Simply not showing up with the goods on time without notice isn't professional behaviour.

As for making your subjects smile, you had a helping hand. I find if it's difficult to force a smile, it's partially down to the photographer - following more experienced studio photographers I've picked a lot about the behaviour behind the camera that becomes influential. Smiling back helps, initiate laughter by laughing with them, getting them to think of their children/loved ones/memorable vacation/favourite food and asking them to tell you about them (a relaxation technique, and smiles come after) and many more. I find telling jokes not so useful as it doesn't create as strong a connection between my subject and I. The underlying lesson I learnt from observing and following other photographers was to take your time, and it's better to chat and perhaps have a cup of coffee for 5 minutes to bond then shoot a few images in a minute rather than spending 5-10 minutes working hard to persuade a forced moment from the subject for the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:35 am 

Alex, when I get back from Vacation I'll upload a word/pdf up to my site for you. I'd love to go to Sweden, but unfortunately its just up north a couple hours to visit family.

PhotoJ, the only one that really had trouble smiling was one of the math teachers, and when he did, he was laughing to hard and I was laughing to hard to take the picture. My friend said he'd pass the math final. And if you know my friend, thats a big joke.
And I've decided that for the photos, I will go today and Just say I'm not happy with them, because I'm not, and when I get done editing, I'll upload them to a private folder on my site on tuesday for him. And PhotoJ, I didn't know he wanted them the next day, until after I'd taken them... And its really not a big deal, because I have to edit them into the yearbook anyway.

Jake

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:21 pm 

photoj,

What if the photographers under 18? (re: release forms)

Jake

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:28 pm 
I have a section on my template at the bottom to cover exactly that. they need a parent/guardian to countersign consent. If it's a school job, then I'd be getting release forms/consent forms out as early as possible and then get the minors to bring them in on the day completed.