Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: concert photography
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:50 pm 
A little while ago there was a couple of concerts I went to (my friends band was playing) and I wanted to experiment with taking concert shots.
I tried to stay away from using flash because I soon figured out that it just made everything quite flat and unattractive, so i stayed with the concert lights.
Basically i kept my camera on the entire time and waited for a good lighting moment to get a shot and then I would take like twenty shots. Most of them weren't edited much except for cropping. I think in all I probably shot two hundred each show and ended up with about five good ones so I figured I'd share them here.

my friend robert (a good bit of noise but i really liked how the lights hit him)

first picture of bryan

second picture of bryan

a guy from Think

Kramer from Kramer&Nelson

(last one) girl from Lady in the Radiator

comments/suggestions all appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:07 pm 
Nice shots, i would love to get some data on how you shot what seetings you used? thanks for sharing, might be doing a photoshot of a battle of the bands on wed next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 pm 
well since i took these a while ago and they arent on my camera anymore im not sure how to get everything exact like the apature and all of that (if someone could tell me that would be great!).
i know i shot in jpeg because im not really familiar with raw... so that allowed me to take more pictures than usual. I have an xti though and i kept it on the P setting, set the white balance to either tungsten or florecent (depending on what i figured would turn out a better picture) and put the settings on faithful. the rest of it was pretty much automatic besides the amount of zoom (i used my 28-135mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 am 
If you could give me the link to your flickr the EXIF data shoul be on the website, its possible to check it over there. I think that the last shot must been shot at with WB set to tungsten, it hast that tungsten look to it, but i think it works.

My fav shots out of tha tone has to be the 1st black and white one, reminds me of that movie "almost famous" and that is a great movie!

Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm 
you must have the shots on your pc.. just right click on one of the photos, chose properties, summary and advanced under the summary tab. there you'll see the EXIF data that's written by the camera in every picture :) good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 pm 
okay i figured it out.. thanks HNV!

okay the first one of robert-
Camera Model: canon rebel xti
focal legnth: 120mm
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/200
Sensitivity: ISO- 1600
Post processing: convert to b&w, crop, contrast boost

first picture of bryan-

focal length: 60mm
Aperture: f/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/50 sec
Sensitivity: ISO-1600
Post processing: crop, convert to B&W

second picture of bryan

focal length: 65mm
Aperture: F/5
Shutter Speed: 1/30 sec
Sensitivity: 1600
Post processing: increase warmth tone, saturation

guy from think

focal length: 135 mm
Aperture: f/ 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/60 sec
Post processing: highlight boost, crop, contrast

Kramer

focal length: 90mm
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/20 sec
Post processing: contrast, saturation, highlight, crop

lady in the radiator

focal length: 135 mm
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/20 sec
Post processing: crop, saturation, contrast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Admin

They're all good, but the first one is by far the best - it's easy to find yourself taking safe photos of people from the front and with light behind you, but as you've shown here, you can get much better results by going for unusual or dramatic angles and deliberately shooting into lights. Good work!