Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 am 

and

the black and white conversion was done in photoshop with channel mixer. i applied the green filter preset. i'm not sure which one i like more yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:33 am 
Hey b.

Welcome to the Forum :D

I just saw some of your pictures and .. wow, they are such great captures. My favorites are the last two from the horse collection and this portrait of the little girl :) The colors in this one are great and I prefer them over b&w. This is just my personal opinion though. The shot itself remains very emotive either way. Great job! I was also thinking, what would you think of maybe adding a subtle vignette to the color one? I think it would help focus the attention even more on the subject. :roll: just an idea

Feel free to share more of your photos. I liked these a lot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 am 
andy -

thanks so much for your compliments, and i think the vignette is a great idea! thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:24 am 
Personally I like the color one, good contrast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Really nice shots - I like them both, but I think I prefer the colour one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:25 am 
Yeah I like the colour one better as well because that yellow give the photo heaps of .. I don't know the word but just gives it that extra thing. I was watching a vid and the photographer said that the photos that turn out best in black and white are photos that the colour doesn't do much for. The example was a fence post and he took a picture of it and the colours were actually distracting from the subject so it looked awesome in black and white. (I guess that's not a very good example of what I was talking about.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:49 am 
Awesome shot. I like the one with colour better since there's so much of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:16 am 

Oh well, nothing like being in a minority! For me the black and white shot works best. The little girl's body language says "sad" to me and the bright yellow in the colour shot overpowers that. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 pm 
Alltho the color-picture is a nice picture, i like the b/w the best.

nice caps b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm 
The B&W works very well for this image, very nice....... have you tried a square crop to make your subject much more of a focal point.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 pm 
big pix - no, i'm not really a huge fan of the square crop as i'm a huge fan of the 'rule of thirds' in composition. not to mention part of the charm of that photograph is *where* she's sitting and cropping it out would probably take part of that away.

thanks for the suggestion though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 pm 
b. wrote:
big pix - no, I'm not really a huge fan of the square crop as I'm a huge fan of the 'rule of thirds' in composition. not to mention part of the charm of that photograph is *where* she's sitting and cropping it out would probably take part of that away.

thanks for the suggestion though!

I see what you mean........ and agree......

....... now about the rule of thirds........ it is not a rule but only a guide...... and some of the more interesting images in to-days world, the rule of thirds does not get a look in......

...... good composition is always important and what has been portrayed here works well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
i hear you on good shots not seeing the rule of thirds.. it's just my 'happy place' photographically, so to speak and i tend to default to that particular 'rule' over all of the others. not always, but usually.

Post subject: vignette
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 pm 
andy, what do you think of this? i don't have any software that would automatically add a vignette so i used the burn tool in cs3...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 am 
:) ummm .. personally I like it a lot. I don't know if it's just me but I actually like some vignette in certain shots. What do others think? Of course it should not be overdone but I think adding some strategically can enhance a photo's feel.

The most important though is what you think of it as the shot is your creation and vision.

Also, you know, I have a simple trick to do vignette with PS. I usually choose the center of the picture on a new transparent layer and then add a radial gradient going from transparent to black (from center outwards) and then adjust the layer's opacity to control the intensity of the effect. Might be easier and smoother. :P

P.S. I like the "rule of thirds" too :wink:

Last edited by Andy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.