Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Smoker's Den
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 am 

These street walkabouts never cease to amaze me. I always come across something new and different to shoot. Most of my street shots take place in an area of Dubai which is about 4km2, and this area was shot a lot in the past by a photographer who lived in the region in the '70s and '80s (http://www.anitavanderkrol.com/)

It's great to see her images and see similarities in some of my shots. Some examples were shot from virtually exactly the same spot 35 years apart - often with completely different surroundings but often with the same buildings still in place.

Anyway, my point for referring Anita's work is that my street work is a snapshot in time from the current era, and looking back to Anita's era there are many sights which just do not exist anymore. It's therefore nice to shoot something that will soon cease to exist and in 35 years time may be looked at by a photographer in much the same way that I view Anita's work now.

Indoor smoking is about to be made illegal in the UAE, and indoor shisha bars will cease to exist. I cam across one for the first time the other evening, and got permission from the manager to shoot a couple of frames through the door. Seeing as one shisha pipe has the equivalent intake of over 1 pack of cigarettes there was a lot of smoke in the atmosphere, which was only pierced by the bright backlight of the bar and TV screen:

Post subject: Re: The Smoker's Den
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 pm 

We are documenting the human condition Phil, for future generations, as well as for ourselves to remember several decades from now.
I can spend hours looking at street photos from the fiftees or earlier, and after doing so I sometimes feel a little saddened that the world does not look the same anymore, that is has lost some of its romantic charm. It's not necessarily that the buildings are gone, but the atmosphere has been so drastically changed by the number of cars, the way people dress (especially in summer), and many other factors. It is good to realize that the world will look very different another 50 years from today, and that I might look at my own images with a similar nostalgia.

Thanks for introducing me to Anita van der Krol by the way. Even though she's Dutch I had never heard of her before, and her work is certainly very appealing.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux