Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:35 am 

I am struggling to get the proper setup for my camera to take green screen portraits. Shutter speed, ISO, and f-stop and camera mode. Any help would be appreciated. My issues are: should I be using Manual? The problem with my portraits are they are not consistent from one shoot to the next - poor focus, model is over exposed, green screen bleed around model which produce poor composite pictures. I use a good tripod, 10 foot X 12 foot green screen, lit by two soft boxes at 45 degrees from green screen. Model is 6 feet in from of green screen and is lit by 2 umbrella 5500 florescent lights. I have been using a computer and Canon EOS software.
Although there are numerous websites that give camera setup suggestions for outside portraits, I have not been able to find any that deal with a studio environment using a green screen.
Any help or assistance would be appreciated. A Scouter in Southern California.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 am 

Any chance you could post a few sample pics with EXIF data? I ask because it seems to me like your setup is fine.

I mean, yes, focus issues will obviously make it difficult to get a clean key, but I'm not sure why you'd be having focus issues when shooting from a tripod as long as the model remains the same distance from the camera. With the lights you have, I don't think any auto-mode would select an extremely bright aperture, so DoF shouldn't be an issue. Even more so since some images are over-exposed. Only thing I can think of is: are you perhaps shooting with IS on? But even that, while it might cause some blur, shouldn't cause over-exposure.

As for the bleed, 6 feet again should be fine. Only thing I can think to recommend is to lower (darken) the backdrop lights. (It doesn't have to be brightly lit, just evenly lit.) Oh, and it shouldn't be a reflective material, obviously. (Or you could try using Photoshop's "Decontaminate Colors" option, but I'm sure you don't want to spend that much money unless you have to.)

Sorry, hopefully someone else can be more help - Mark