Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some Stuff From School
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hey, well we had talent contest - Stars in Your Eyes - today at school, obviously I was on hand to photograph the whole thing. I had to go near the back because of the crowd and the stage isn't raised much, so I was shooting with the 70-300 IS lens @ ISO 1600 the whole time. a 70-200 F/2.8 or F/4 IS would have been much better suited for the lighting conditions since I didnt really go all the way to 300 to often.

Before hand though myself and some friends had a little fun messing about with the stage equitment as they were setting it up, I got them in saying they were part of the media group lol!

I would have prefered a faster lens, or perhaps just more light, or a Nikon D3 which could have coped perfectly lol! My Canon 40D did a good job, although some of the acts moved about a bit, having a cleaner ISO 3200 or a faster lens would have been welcome.

Comments and criticisms would be very much appreciated, although in terms of angles like I said I couldn't move much so I was limited in that respect, anything else is fair game :)

Here are some photos from before the event, and the actual event itself.

Tony With the mic

Tony

Niki on stage

Joseph Singing - Song Unknown

Mbali Singing - Rihanna Umbrella

Linzi Singing - Madona Material Girl - Kirst & Brianna dancing

Brianna Dancing

Linzi Singing

Kirst, Linzi and Brianna accepting the 1st prize![/url][/b]

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Last edited by DD_nVidia on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 pm 
mm i only can see the first photo, the rest isn't there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:13 pm 

Was just making sure I had the code right for linking on the first one so I didnt do it wrong and have to re-do all the links :)

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:27 am 

you have been busy!!! great shots...I love the black and white on the second shot, and I also like the casual look of the last one...

pretty cool, and unless the cds were dangling from the strings, pretty timeless capture...good work...and good to see ya.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:51 am 
Great work! Now we know why you were assigned the job. My favourite was the first shot. Regarding the second shot, I liked the facial emotion you froze but have no idea why the hands were cut off. Just my thoughts.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 pm 

Patti - Thanks, yeah I really like the last one myself, although it would have been nice if it could be a bit sharper, but they were standing back and were no longer under the main stage lights, so the shutter speed had to go down >_<

As for the CD's, oh i hate them lol, the school just leave them there as a cheap way to create a sparkle on stage :/ I thought about editing them out of all the pictures but just done it for the actual performers.

SnS - Just a change in composition, remember you don't have to capture everything.

Besides, I had my 70-300 lens on and was to close, and i wanted to get a straight point of view shot, rather than have it looking down which would give a different perspective to the image, one that I wasn't looking for.

[although it is good to remember that a change of perspective is a great thing when taking photographs.]

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:12 pm 
Great shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:48 pm 
Not bad at all. It brings back memories of school days - a long long time ago for me.

The first image has the most impact, but the one with most emotion for me is the last one. The other images are good as they are, but I think slight crop adjustments could make your compositions more interesting - you can isolate your images even further, such as the one with Mbali singing. That one could be a tight crop around the microphone - the rest of the frame at the moment doesn't add to the composition and by having the tighter crop you're focusing more on the subject.

That's my tuppence.

Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:56 pm 

Thanks Grahamnp and PhotoJ

PhotoJ - I agree with the crop adjustments comment. Some of them i only really did noise reducing for editing, I edited the ones with Brianna Kirst and Linzi more since one ore two of those will be put in the yearbook.

I'll be sure to go back and re-crop it before handing them into the school.

Thanks for the comments and help :)

MY FLICKR!